• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ovi

Hello,
I am not sure if this is the right forum for my question...but I'd like to ask anybody what could happen if I am not able to pay the taxes I owe in Germany...
I lived there for 5 years,I paid my taxes to the German state till 2 years ago when I started to gain less and less money and then the economic recession came and I worked very little and couldn't afford to pay anymore.Last year I got divorced and being an american citizen,I came back to USA thinking that I can make more money and be able to pay my back taxes but over here I had the same problem...and is well known the crisis the whole country goes thru right now.I barely make end meets and I have a very tight budget...I work as a freelance artist and I don't get paid regularly.I do not have a paycheck coming to me every 2 other weeks but whenever the client will pay me and this could be in between 1 month and 1/2 and 2 months.

My question is: what could the German IRS do to me in this case?Can they come after me here and force me to pay?Can they extradite me? I owe them around $5000.I wrote them few letters and sent them my bank statements to prove that I am not able to pay.No answers from them.They closed my ex wife's bank account though...and it seems that they are after her at this moment.

Please help me with an answer.

Regards,
Ovi

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">