• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cobrakai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington This is my first year of being able to claim my son for tax purposes. On our parenting plan, it simply states that I can claim him on my taxes every other year. How does this work because there is EIC and other deductions, but I'm not sure how to file. He lives with his mom in California so she has him more than 50% of the time. I'm not behind at all in Child Support so I won't have to worry about any being taken away. I just want to file right. Thank you for your help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington This is my first year of being able to claim my son for tax purposes. On our parenting plan, it simply states that I can claim him on my taxes every other year. How does this work because there is EIC and other deductions, but I'm not sure how to file. He lives with his mom in California so she has him more than 50% of the time. I'm not behind at all in Child Support so I won't have to worry about any being taken away. I just want to file right. Thank you for your help.
You are not eligible for Head of Household status (unless you have a qualifying child who lives primarily with you).

You are not eligible for the daycare credit.

You are not eligible for EIC.

You are eligible to claim the child as a dependent and to claim the child tax credit.

cobrakai

thank you so much for the quick reply. I was doing a search on the IRS website and what if my son's mom didn't give me a "release the exemption" with the Form 8022?

LdiJ

thank you so much for the quick reply. I was doing a search on the IRS website and what if my son's mom didn't give me a "release the exemption" with the Form 8022?
Then you need to request that she give you one. If she does not comply, then you need to take her to court for contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">