• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ptrcmcc6

What is the name of your state? NJ I was just reading the post someone started on federal taxes and I didn't want to piggyback on their post so I am starting one on my own. I have a question that I did not see addressed on that post. It won't apply for this year but I will keep a note of it for next year. I live with the father of my children. We are not married. He became disabled 1/2004. He was finally approved and received his first check 1/2006. For the past 2 years while we have been waiting for Social Security, I was the only breadwinner in the house. Last year I claimed him on my taxes and I intend on claiming him again this year as I did support him for the past 2 years. My question is, when I file my taxes next year, do I have to claim him and report his SSDI income? Like I said, we are not married and when I file, I file as Head of Household.

Just curious about this situation.

Ptrcmcc6

Heather2

Ptrcmcc6 said:
What is the name of your state? NJ I was just reading the post someone started on federal taxes and I didn't want to piggyback on their post so I am starting one on my own. I have a question that I did not see addressed on that post. It won't apply for this year but I will keep a note of it for next year. I live with the father of my children. We are not married. He became disabled 1/2004. He was finally approved and received his first check 1/2006. For the past 2 years while we have been waiting for Social Security, I was the only breadwinner in the house. Last year I claimed him on my taxes and I intend on claiming him again this year as I did support him for the past 2 years. My question is, when I file my taxes next year, do I have to claim him and report his SSDI income? Like I said, we are not married and when I file, I file as Head of Household.

Just curious about this situation.

Ptrcmcc6
I don't think you have to claim him but if you do I found this on this website:

Are social security benefits taxable?
That depends. Taxation of social security benefits is based upon combined income of both you and your spouse (if you have a spouse)- as calculated by adding your adjusted gross income plus nontaxable interest earned plus one-half of your social security benefits.

If you file a federal income tax return as an individual with a combined income between $25,000 and $34,000 - 50% of your social security benefits are subject to income tax. If your combined income exceeds $34.00 - 85% of your social security benefits are subject to income tax.

If you and your spouse file a joint income tax return - 50% of your social security benefits are subject to income tax if your combined income is between $32,000 and $44,000. If your combined income exceeds $44,000 - 85% of your social security benefits are subject to income tax.

If you are married filing a separate income tax return, you might have to pay income tax on your entire social security benefit.

Hope that helps some.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">