• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

technicality question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ky
A temporary judgment was made in our case and I disagree with what was ordered. The attorneys now seem to have the order done and ready to be signed.
My question is, is it required that I sign the order as well or can they just send it to the judge to be signed?
I'm being told that I have to sign, but again, I don't agree with the order and will only be following it because it is what the judge ordered.
I thought it was only required that the judge sign off on it.
Thank you for any help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ky
A temporary judgment was made in our case and I disagree with what was ordered. The attorneys now seem to have the order done and ready to be signed.
My question is, is it required that I sign the order as well or can they just send it to the judge to be signed?
I'm being told that I have to sign, but again, I don't agree with the order and will only be following it because it is what the judge ordered.
I thought it was only required that the judge sign off on it.
Thank you for any help.
Can you afford another retainer for another attorney? Your attorney may quit if you refuse to sign the order.

Why is that? I'm not trying to be stupid. I just don't understand is all. I'm not an attorney and don't know how it works. It wasn't explained to me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why is that? I'm not trying to be stupid. I just don't understand is all. I'm not an attorney and don't know how it works. It wasn't explained to me.
Signing merely indicates that you agree that the order, as prepared by the attorneys, is what the judge ordered. You don't have to agree with what the judge ordered...but you do have to follow the order.

I would suggest that, not only may your attorney drop you, but you MIGHT face sanctions from the court.

Thank you very much for the clarification. Like I said, I just didn't understand. I guess I mostly didn't understand what the signing indicated. And just to clarify from my end, while I heavily disagree with the order, I will of course be following it. I'm not the person who thinks they're above the judge or courts.
Thanks again, makes much better sense now!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">