• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teen marriage, 1970s

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is possible in the sense that there are states that do not prohibit it.

However, in this country we do not allow twelve year old children to marry. Just because no one has taken the time to take 300 year old laws off the books doesn't mean that it's actually going to happen. I doubt if a 12 year old has been married in the US since it WAS the US.

Querian

As you are in another country ....Why are you posting here? Homework? :confused:
You see, the story I am writing takes place in WA, USA, and later in other places in the Unites States. The fact that I myself am physically located in another part of the world right now doesn't really change the narrative. Thus I am posting here. It'd be odd if I posted a question about US laws on a forum of Latvian ones.

I doubt if a 12 year old has been married in the US since it WAS the US.
Oh, I think you'd be surprised.

Silverplum

You see, the story I am writing takes place in WA, USA, and later in other places in the Unites States. The fact that I myself am physically located in another part of the world right now doesn't really change the narrative. Thus I am posting here. It'd be odd if I posted a question about US laws on a forum of Latvian ones.

Oh, I think you'd be surprised.
Well, have fun writing and researching your story.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, I don't think I'd be surprised at all. Maybe your country allows children to marry, but this one does not. The fact that back in the days when we were a few independent colonies that had not yet unified into a single country, when the the life span was considerably shorter than it is now, a law was placed on the books allowing a 12 year old to marry does not mean that today, or even 40 years ago, 12 year olds are allowed to marry. Sometime when they don't have bigger problems to worry about someone will go in and repeal those laws but there's no big rush about it since the trend right now is marrying older, not younger.

BTW, speaking as a writer, it's considered wise to know something about your topic before you write about it.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Before you invest too much time/money? It doesn't sound like a particularly interesting story.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well, from what I've learned, it is possible today in some states. I thought it might have been possible 40 years ago.
There is a difference between a LEGAL (civilly recognized) marriages and some private (not legally recognized) marriages.

Since you are in Latvia, you are aware that occasionally such things occur in the Roma community - does that make it legal or generally acceptable? Do you really think that polygamous underage "marriages" in heretical branches of the LDS are considered LEGAL?

Word of advice: write about a universe you actually know - either because you've experienced or because you invented it. 1975 WA - I wouldn't try, and I remember 1975. In the US, no less.

LdiJ

Then you need to lobby with your state legislature to change the law, because in YOUR state, it's legal. :cool:
Yeah, but that doesn't mean that it would have actually flied, even in 1975.

In the late 1950's Jerry Lee Lewis, a famous at the time country/rockabilly star married a distant 13 year old cousin. It was legal but it outraged the whole country and did serious damage to his career.

On Law and Order, Special Victims Unit just last week, they featured a show where a pedafile pastor attempted to marry his 13 year old victim in order to avoid prosecution, and failed dismally...and even in 1975 would have failed dismally.

In the middle ages marriages between unlikely matches happened all the time to cement alliances...even when those alliances could not possibly result in children.

In a handful of cultures today very young girls are married off to much older men.

However, I cannot imagine a scenario anywhere in the word today, or in 1975, where a 12 year old boy would be married off to a 17 year old girl....even if somehow that 12 year old boy got a 17 year old girl pregnant.

So, if someone is truly trying to write a work of fiction that would actually have a shot at commercial success...the whole premise fails.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">