• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant dies-- can people that were living with her be evicted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JAL, you think the average elderly person has possessions worth much, new furniture and such? I'm aware of what an estate is. When my own dad died, my mom and I learned the hard way that selling a person's estate for cash to pay for things, and having to do it quickly, doesn't get much, even for items that would be worth more if months could be spent searching for a buyer. Funerals are usually not on credit. Pay right that moment. That's a few days. It can be hard fi ding someone to take a person's old couches for free, much less to pay, when you've got a couple days, if you're lucky. OP's aunt couldn't afford nursing care, and what she had clearly wasn't worth much.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and The Estate actually writes checks for money. Dishes and blankets don't pay for funerals otherwise.

I saw the 15th. OP and her mom haven't applied for the place on their own. Of course the manager wants someone out who hasn't applied. The OP and her mom haven't spoken with the manager about applying, but need to. Worst case is they still have to be out. Best case is the manager decides to take a chance on two people who payed for a month they didn't have to and will take that as a sign that they'll actually pay every month.

justalayman

=QueenofEngland;2619685]

Unless I'm misunderstanding and The Estate actually writes checks for money. Dishes and blankets don't pay for funerals otherwise.
well, just like with the living; it isn't a good idea to write a check that you have no money to back.

an estate (or actually the rep for the estate) cannot write a check to anybody unless there are estate funds to cover that check. Having an estate does not mean there is any money or real value to the estate. A homeless bum that lives in a cardboard box under a bridge has an estate. The sum total value of all of his possessions is not going to amount to much, if anything but yet, he still has an estate.

I saw the 15th. OP and her mom haven't applied for the place on their own. Of course the manager wants someone out who hasn't applied. The OP and her mom haven't spoken with the manager about applying, but need to
.well, I would presume that when it was suggested if they want to stay in the apartment they take the requisite actions to do so. If they don't, it is nobody's fault but their own. Yes, I do realize OP said mom has bad credit and OP isn't working or whatever. Based on that, they very likely would not qualify to rent and the OP simply acknowledged that. They appear to understand reality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">