• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant hiding dog against terms of lease, what should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

satre51

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Dogs are against terms of my tenants lease, but I'm 95% sure my tenant is keeping a dog in the finished upstairs attic of the house anyway and lying to me about it, but I have no solid evidence. Dog is secluded upstair so that I wont hear barking.

1) How do I insist on inspecting the upstairs area where I suspect the dog is?
2) If I find a dog, how should I handle it?

adjusterjack

1) How do I insist on inspecting the upstairs area where I suspect the dog is?
See 66-28-403(b) of the TN landlord tenant statute:

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2015/title-66/chapter-28/part-4/section-66-28-403/

I am a former landlord and my take on that is that the unauthorized dog qualifies as a "set of circumstances demanding immediate action" which would allow an unannounced inspection or even entry when nobody is home.

Make sure you bring a camera.

2) If I find a dog, how should I handle it?
Prepare, and take with you, a 14 day notice of termination per 66-7-109(a)(1)(A) referring to "tenant neglect" and, if you find and photograph a dog, immediately hand it to your tenant.

Check paragraph (D). If your county is not governed by the Act you can use a 3 day notice and then evict. I imagine you can check with your county government to find that out.

LdiJ

See 66-28-403(b) of the TN landlord tenant statute:

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2015/title-66/chapter-28/part-4/section-66-28-403/

I am a former landlord and my take on that is that the unauthorized dog qualifies as a "set of circumstances demanding immediate action" which would allow an unannounced inspection or even entry when nobody is home.

Make sure you bring a camera.

Prepare, and take with you, a 14 day notice of termination per 66-7-109(a)(1)(A) referring to "tenant neglect" and, if you find and photograph a dog, immediately hand it to your tenant.

Check paragraph (D). If your county is not governed by the Act you can use a 3 day notice and then evict. I imagine you can check with your county government to find that out.
For the OP's physical safety, I am going to seriously disagree with that advice. Entering a home where you suspect a dog is present, without the residents being present, could very likely get someone attacked by the dog. I am not sure what advice I have to offer in replacement, but I do not think its safe to enter when the residents are not there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">