• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant makes "partial" rent payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The good news it that they will be dropping of the remainder of the rent to me today, probably at my office. On the downside yes they are cash poor, but the lease is for 12 months, and I own the house outright, so if they default during any month and don't square up, they will have to move in ten months. The place doesn't have a mortgage & I can easily cover the taxes & insurance it I had a lapse in renters.

I just do not like being taken advantage of......
Are you running this as a charity?

If you don't get paid, you evict them. You don't have to let stay for the remainder of the lease...

Feniera

If I don't get paid, of course I will evict them. I also made it clear ( via email, yesterday) that partial payments are not acceptable, and that the entire amount of the rent is due on the date stated on the lease.

As I said, I'm new to this Landlord stuff, and no I'm not a running a charity. Being a Landlord will require being more hardnosed and forceful than what I'm used to.

At least I have paying renters. My freeloading brother lived in the house for almost 25 years and my parents were covering the costs. Another story! :)

acmb05

If I don't get paid, of course I will evict them. I also made it clear ( via email, yesterday) that partial payments are not acceptable, and that the entire amount of the rent is due on the date stated on the lease.

As I said, I'm new to this Landlord stuff, and no I'm not a running a charity. Being a Landlord will require being more hardnosed and forceful than what I'm used to.

At least I have paying renters. My freeloading brother lived in the house for almost 25 years and my parents were covering the costs. Another story! :)
Never do anything by email. Send all notices via return receipt so you have proof you sent it and it was either receiver or returned. If returned do not open it. Save it unopened in case you need it for court.

Feniera

100% agree with sending imortant notices by mail.

However, I will also print up the email showing that the tenant did respond to it.

Would prefer to just sell the house, but it has been on the market twice, and is not in the greatest area so I can't get out of the Landlord shackles any time soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">