• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant problems - help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HomeGuru

california owne said:
What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I own an upstairs condo in California. A few months ago the tenant moved out, but before she did, she ended up flooding the place with a small portable washing machine she brought into the condo without asking me. I chose not to put a washer and dryer in the condo because it was upstairs and I did not want any problems with it.

The tenant is completely at fault and I had to hire someone to fix my place and the condo downstairs since it had water damage too. As the owner of the upstairs condo, I felt it was my duty to pay for the condo below and mine together and then take MY tenant to small claims court for the damage. The bill was almost $4000 for both condos. Insurance company would only cover my condo.

I spoke to the owner downstairs and told her I would pay to have the place fixed and go after my tenat in court. She completely agreed. The owner was in escrow at the time with the tenant downstairs because he was buying the property.

The tenant downstairs has been a PROBLEM. When the people we hired show up to do any work, he makes them wait 30 minutes before opening the door, and he's been rude to them too. Right now there is a balance of $855 it will cost to finish the downstairs condo, but the tenant won't let the guy we hired in to do the job.

The man we hired (and signed the papers for) to do the job just called me and told me that the tenant downstairs said he wants to get his own person to do the job and the tenant said if I give him $1000 he will leave it at that and won't take ME to court.

I am not at fault here and it says in the paperwork for the condo that if the tenant causes damages, they need to pay. My tenant did cause the damages and I said I would pay who I hired to do the job. I don't feel comfortable just handing the tenant downstairs $1000 so he won't sue me. In court I don't know if that would even hold up. I don't think I could get that money from my tenant because it won't come with a bill showing the job is done..

Does anyone have any suggestions..

**A: you are liable. Read your condo docs.

HomeGuru

california owne said:
my first message has been fully edited.

I learned that I am not responsible for the damage. I want to take my former tenant to court, but I am not sure what I could do about the downstairs tenant who would rather have cash than a repair man out.

any info would be great! Thanks :)

**A: my response stands.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">