• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated from job replaced with younger unqualified person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

no1texan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I was terminated / fired from my job, a professional salaried position I had for 5 years, for causes that were not true and which I can refute everyone with specifics in writing. I am over 70 years old but I can hold my own with any person my junior in my profession, education and experience wise.
About two months later, the organization that fired me published a public statement that said because I had departed - this is saying I took action to leave which is not true, I received the action of being terminated/fired - then they put a woman 13 or 14 years my junior in my position and she did not have the qualifications stated on the job description. So they first fired me for causes I can prove false, they replaced me with a younger person who did not meet the qualifications in the job description. Is this age discrimination? And do I have a cause for legal action?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
First off, saying that you "departed" says only that you are no longer there; it makes no inference or implication as to who initiated it.

What reason were you given for the termination?

If you are over 70, it stands to reason that the person they replaced you with is going to be younger. And if she's only 13 or 14 years younger, she's well over the age where she would be considered a "young" hire. So that in and of itself is not going to give you an age discrimination claim or cause for legal action. Neither is the fact that you do not consider her qualified.

So we're going to need more detail than you've given us.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here's the OP's other thread on the same topic: https://forum.freeadvice.com/libel-slander-defamation-88/fired-job-verbal-false-charges-612202.html

quincy

First off, saying that you "departed" says only that you are no longer there; it makes no inference or implication as to who initiated it.

What reason were you given for the termination?

If you are over 70, it stands to reason that the person they replaced you with is going to be younger. And if she's only 13 or 14 years younger, she's well over the age where she would be considered a "young" hire. So that in and of itself is not going to give you an age discrimination claim or cause for legal action. Neither is the fact that you do not consider her qualified.

So we're going to need more detail than you've given us.
A synopsis of the previous thread by no1texan:

no1texan was an accountant for a church. There was discussion in a private meeting of "mistakes, errors" that apparently had been made but no detail on the nature of these mistakes and errors was provided. no1texan walked out of the meeting. There was no public mention of mistakes or errors -instead it was publicly implied that no1texan left the job of his/her own accord - although no1texan suspects some people in the church might have been told false tales.

There is no clear case of defamation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I thought some of this sounded familiar.

Did anyone point out to him in the first thread that walking out of the meeting was a valid and legal reason to fire him, outside of everything else?

quincy

I thought some of this sounded familiar.

Did anyone point out to him in the first thread that walking out of the meeting was a valid and legal reason to fire him, outside of everything else?
Yup. I believe that was mentioned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">