• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminating/No Contact/Custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

purple.minion

I've got nearly 60k in medical debt. My medication alone without insurance is more than I make in a month. Something tells me I ought to take a trip to the bankruptcy boards here.

Point being, I've got to get it sorted before we can consider those things, until then I'm making the minimum monthly payments.

I don't have the slightest idea on how medical debt effects marriage, only that it's best settled before you get married.

Proserpina

I completely understand the medical bills problem.

(Seriously. I really do)

$60k does justify at least an initial consultation with a bk attorney but I can see a potential problem: once you get that $60k discharged you're going to be very limited for a number of years in terms of what you're able to do if you're hit with more medical bills and are struggling to stay ahead. If you have chronic health problems I'm not sure how viable bk is right now.

purple.minion

Sorry hijacked my own thread with this. The reason for over half those bills was a single expensive medical procedure. Specifically a study done on my brain. (The other half being a complicated labor and delivery, and I'm not entirely sure but is the NCP obligated to pay on any of this???)

The positive outcome of this was after 4 years of medication trials, it pointed us in the right direction as to which medication combination worked best. No more seizures, working again, quality of life, no side effects, etc.

However. That medication is expensive and may not be sustainable after my parents insurance drops me at 26. We talked to my significant other's work about insurance and they suggested a domestic partnership. (My dad works at the same place very good insurance, dangerous work) We haven't fully looked into how this would affect our financial situation. I'm only assuming the situation is basically the same as marriage?

purple.minion

So I guess, with good insurance, no unexpected problems aside my health issues should be manageable given no new problems arise (that's always kind of a dice roll with epilepsy, no matter how long you've been seizure free, I've been about 3 weeks...) and no new debt occurs. I do avoid the hospital/doctor at all costs. This study was the last hurrah trying to find a cause/solution rather than shooting in the dark.

purple.minion

Opposing Answers

When I asked my local child support office workers (who were both present at my child support hearing, veeeerryy small town) whether he would be allowed to voluntarily terminate his parental rights (with my consent) they told me that the judge would typically allow it if we were both in agreement. I'm confused to say the least. I'm getting different answers from different people.

Proserpina

When I asked my local child support office workers (who were both present at my child support hearing, veeeerryy small town) whether he would be allowed to voluntarily terminate his parental rights (with my consent) they told me that the judge would typically allow it if we were both in agreement. I'm confused to say the least. I'm getting different answers from different people.

This is from a Nevada attorney's site:

While a parent can choose to “relinquish” parental rights, a parent cannot voluntarily “terminate his parental rights and obligations,” unless a court deems it to be in the child’s best interests.
Perhaps that's where the confusion lies?

In your situation, I cannot see where it could be deemed in the best interests of the child. It also doesn't happen as much as your child support officer seems to believe. Think about it.

purple.minion

Thank you for answering my question. Again. The more I read into it, the dumber my question seems, and the more I just can't seem to wrap head around WHY his lawyer would even put this offer on the table? He is the former DA, he knows how these things work, so unless he had some backdoor deal worked out? Maybe I'm getting paranoid with small town politics. I know for sure I won't be signing anything or doing anything without an attorney.

Silverplum

Thank you for answering my question. Again. The more I read into it, the dumber my question seems, and the more I just can't seem to wrap head around WHY his lawyer would even put this offer on the table? He is the former DA, he knows how these things work, so unless he had some backdoor deal worked out? Maybe I'm getting paranoid with small town politics. I know for sure I won't be signing anything or doing anything without an attorney.
I've seen this before: it's just a tactic.

purple.minion

I know it seems I'm asking a lot of questions, it's Sunday and it takes awhile to receive a consultation here, there's only a couple of local lawyers, and one of them belongs to the other party, I promise I will have a consultation asap, and I really appreciate how much help you've all been. I just received some paperwork that requires me to carry health insurance, that would mean Medicaid, it says (x) because it is available at this time. When his plan is clearly superior. From what I've read it says Medicaid should not be considered adequate health insurance. Am I misinterpreting it, or is this because I failed to address health insurance at our first court date? If so, do I have a chance to bring it up at the next one (we only have a temporary child support order in place) The exact wording from the paperwork (the dots are some spots left out, not being too identifying): OTHER FINDINGS: The parties may be discussing termination of parental rights**************..therefore, the master finds it in the best interest of the child to enter a temporary order of support pursuant to NRS 425.360**************.in the event parties do not reach an agreement, the matter shall be heard**************to address arrearages and ongoing support. Parties waived objection to the temporary obligation of support. Obligee shall continue to provide medicaid at this time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">