• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination vs. Resignation Option

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Legally Chal

Business is slow. So, my California employer has targeted some employees with the option of resigning, or being terminated. Seems to me that termination is the better choice, so as to be eligible for unemployment compensation. But that seems counter-intuitive to me, given that the employee will lose the job either way. And, I'm guessing that "Termination" looks worse than "resignation" for future referrals.

Is there a way the employee can resign (when faced with such an option), but still be eligible for unemployment compensation?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:

pattytx

In this economy, being fired for lack of work is not a problem. Recruiters see it every day, and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Let them terminate you; you're right you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you voluntarily resign, especially if you resign in anticipation of being let go and there is still some work to be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">