• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The cost in general for the case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwmi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

I wanted to contine to post on my thread https://forum.freeadvice.com/alimony-spousal-support-35/should-i-pay-alimony-550538.html
But found out that it has been closed.

So I ask the question in a new thread.

My case could become a contested one. I know I may not get a definitive answer from you.
From your expereinces based on the information of the case particular what would be the legal cost in general for having it finalized in the practice?

I should be aware of the cost in general which I may run into.
Thanks in advance.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

I wanted to contine to post on my thread https://forum.freeadvice.com/alimony-spousal-support-35/should-i-pay-alimony-550538.html
But found out that it has been closed.

So I ask the question in a new thread.

My case could become a contested one. I know I may not get a definitive answer from you.
From your expereinces based on the information of the case particular what would be the legal cost in general for having it finalized in the practice?

I should be aware of the cost in general which I may run into.
Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately no one can realistically answer that question for you. It depends on how much money your attorney charges per hour, and how many hours your attorney has to put into the case to get it finalized. It could be a few thousand or it could be tens of thousands.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Here are the links to Alabama law on Divorce/Alimony and Custody/Visitation/Child Support:
http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/128821.htm
http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/128972.htm

Alabama is not a community property state.

The $$ you will need to pay an attorney will depend on the attorney and how long the divorce takes.

If your wife's attorney is smart, they'll file to have you pay for their services also, given the disparity in the incomes.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

Unfortunately no one can realistically answer that question for you. It depends on how much money your attorney charges per hour, and how many hours your attorney has to put into the case to get it finalized. It could be a few thousand or it could be tens of thousands.
An acquaintance of mine spent $100,000 on her divorce. Another spent $1,500.

iwmi

An acquaintance of mine spent $100,000 on her divorce. Another spent $1,500.
Mr. SteveF,
Were the two the similar to mine? That was I asked for.
I thought people in the feild here should have known that (not have to be the cases in AL) in general for my case.

Thank!

IWMI

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Mr. SteveF,
Were the two the similar to mine? That was I asked for.
I thought people in the feild here should have known that (not have to be the cases in AL) in general for my case.

Thank!

IWMI
HE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS AND OTHER FORUM PAGES WERE NOT REVIEWED BY THE EDITORIAL STAFF OR ATTORNEYS AT FREEADVICE.COM and are provided AS IS. The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues.
I've paid half the fee for two non-contested divorces, and had the second husband pay for my attorney as well as the rest of the court costs. I've paid more to get married than to get divorced. YMMV. :cool:

iwmi

I've paid half the fee for two non-contested divorces, and had the second husband pay for my attorney as well as the rest of the court costs. I've paid more to get married than to get divorced. YMMV. :cool:
I'd need the numbers if yours were similar to mine!
THANKS!

iwmi

Dear LdiJ, I asked it in general. if you knew any cases, which were the similar to mine not have to be in AL, and you knew the cost in munbers, could you please share a few hose? Please?
I may have to prepare that.

iwmi

Here are the links to Alabama law on Divorce/Alimony and Custody/Visitation/Child Support:
http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/128821.htm
http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/128972.htm

Alabama is not a community property state.

The $$ you will need to pay an attorney will depend on the attorney and how long the divorce takes.

If your wife's attorney is smart, they'll file to have you pay for their services also, given the disparity in the incomes.
Thanks for your time but those are not really doing a thing to my question.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Dear LdiJ, I asked it in general. if you knew any cases, which were the similar to mine not have to be in AL, and you knew the cost in munbers, could you please share a few hose? Please?
I may have to prepare that.
You want general numbers? I would suspect that your case will run anywhere from $17.92 to $503,298.89. Give or take...

Proserpina

Thanks for your time but those are not really doing a thing to my question.

Seriously - you cannot reasonably expect anyone to guess how much YOUR divorce may or may not cost.

Every single divorce is different.

You're not being realistic in your expectations of this forum, I fear.

You've been given realistic advice - it could be virtually nothing, or run into the tens of thousands of dollars.

iwmi

Seriously - you cannot reasonably expect anyone to guess how much YOUR divorce may or may not cost.

Every single divorce is different.

You're not being realistic in your expectations of this forum, I fear.

You've been given realistic advice - it could be virtually nothing, or run into the tens of thousands of dollars.
Hello Proserpina,
Thanks for your time!
My purpose of this thread is hoping you in the family law could share a few of the similar case examples in cost numbers.
I believe the background of my case is sufficient if you had read that thread. I’d be realistically to have myself prepared if I ran into the contested divorce which is becoming likely now. again thanks.

Proserpina

Hello Proserpina,
Thanks for your time!
My purpose of this thread is hoping you in the family law could share a few of the similar case examples in cost numbers.
I believe the background of my case is sufficient if you had read that thread. I’d be realistically to have myself prepared if I ran into the contested divorce which is becoming likely now. again thanks.

Tell you what.

Why don't you call around some local attorneys and ask them?

:)

Isis1

Hello Proserpina,
Thanks for your time!

My guess? Because you don't listen very well, you'll be paying double of what you should be charged for making the attorney repeat everything to you several times.

So, my quote. $8,900 to $17,250.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">