• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

the draining of family wealth

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

That was the point I was going to make as soon as I saw the subject line.
It's not "family wealth" it's grandma's wealth. If it's purely grandma's sympathy rather than the abuse of a less the competent senior, you've got no say. Grandma is free to spend all the money in Vegas or will it away to the local home for cats and not give you kids any of it.

thedc666

She was convinced that the sale and subsequent purchase of a much more expensive home would be good for all and in doing so all would be content. Within 4 months, what my wife, and her other daughter as well as our son in law and myself knew would happen has. She is very sad. Wishes she had never sold her home and wants her life back. The CA daughter is a good sales person when she sees an potential for personal gain at the expense of others.

thedc666

My hope is that with the advise I received hear I will be able to get that to happen. I agree she hates the thought of the up coming confrontation with daughter # 1, and step mom. What we really need is an attorney in the San Bernadino area we could refer to her mom and would talk to her as well. the "find an attorney" did not do it. It gave a list of attorneys but after printing them they were not near San Bernadino at all. Her mom wants thing to stop and to get right. At least that's what she just said.

cyjeff

My hope is that with the advise I received hear I will be able to get that to happen. I agree she hates the thought of the up coming confrontation with daughter # 1, and step mom. What we really need is an attorney in the San Bernadino area we could refer to her mom and would talk to her as well. the "find an attorney" did not do it. It gave a list of attorneys but after printing them they were not near San Bernadino at all. Her mom wants thing to stop and to get right. At least that's what she just said.
I am confused.

Exactly what law has been broken? What is the basis of the civil case?

I am going to say this bluntly because I know no other way...

Grandma spent her money. Because she has buyer's remorse about that purchase and/or YOU don't think it was a good use for the money is completely irrelevant.

Unless Grandma had a gun to her head during the purchase and/or is proven incompetent to make such decisions, you don't have a case upon which to sue.

anteater

I am confused.

Exactly what law has been broken? What is the basis of the civil case?

I am going to say this bluntly because I know no other way...

Grandma spent her money. Because she has buyer's remorse about that purchase and/or YOU don't think it was a good use for the money is completely irrelevant.

Unless Grandma had a gun to her head during the purchase and/or is proven incompetent to make such decisions, you don't have a case upon which to sue.
Let's not let reality get in the way of this issue!

San Bernardino is apparently bereft of atorneys. Then again, it may just be a spelling problem.

thedc666

When someone knowingly causes a sympathetic senior to give up all she knows, owns or $ for the strict benefit of themselves with full knowledge they are being deceptive, and cheating other members of the trust out of anything from the estate, would this not be considered "elder abuse?" My wife does not want to continue to the point of the 877 # at least not at this time.

rowz

Your wife may have rights.
If she decides to not pursue said "rights" then she does indeed give them up.

On the other hand, as you have already been told here, it is none of your [or your wifes] business. Your wifes Faher is dead, and with him went any "rights" to a possibility of an inheritance.

Your wife could spend some $ and get an attorney to look into all of this and that may put here mind at rest. Thats costs $$$.

If she will not, as yyou said even take the free route and call Elder Services [or whatever it is called in CA] then it is clear by your posts and her [in] actions that she has no intention of doing anything else but comlaining about it.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Good luck with putting your minds at rest about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">