• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The principal stole my phone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexxela

Buy a cheap pre-paid phone that is compatible with your phone carrier and have the number transferred to that phone. Then, when mom comes home, you can get your phone back and transfer the service back to it. The bonus is that you will have a spare phone after that :)
That could help, yes. But I'd still have to get back all the numbers that I need.

Or, your mom can ask the principal if your aunt or uncle or some other adult relative can pick up the phone in her place.
Yes, I think that might be a good idea. Though the closest is my older brother.

Are you saying you NEED your phone? That your life, as you know it, won't be the same without it? That you'll just die if you don't get it back right this minute?
You don't need to get dramatic. Nobody is going to die.

Gimme a break. You don't NEED the phone. Cell phones are a fairly new concept. Heck, the majority of we "old folks" got along just fine for many, many years before such an animal even existed.
Sure.....but in the old days, NOBODY had a phone so it wasn't weird when a person was suddenly lost from communication. There were different expectations of communicating.

My boss was really confused and frantic last week when he couldn't get hold of me. And he's old.

Need to make a phone call? Grab a quarter (or whatever it costs these days) and use a payphone.
Great. But who would I call? I don't actually KNOW anyone's phone number!! lol.

She's all about demanding her phone back but she's not interested in leaving it at home or in her locker during class. Doesn't sound like much of an adult to me.
Wow. Hundreds of times I remember to turn my phone off before class starts and then I forget one time and I lose 'adult status'.
It's really intense being an adult.
You must be perfect.
One of my teachers didn't iron his shirt the other day. He told us that he ran out of time on this one occasion. Doesn't sound like much of an adult to me.

TigerD

In fairness, I frequently forget to turn mine off. And I'm an adult. But at my age, it is starting to be excused for other reasons...

DC

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The difference is, you were in a situation where it was REQUIRED that you turn it off. There was no requirement that your teacher iron his shirt.

Welcome to adulthood, where actions have consequences and "I want" isn't good enough.

alexxela

In fairness, I frequently forget to turn mine off. And I'm an adult. But at my age, it is starting to be excused for other reasons...

DC
That's ok DC. These things happen sometimes.

The difference is, you were in a situation where it was REQUIRED that you turn it off. There was no requirement that your teacher iron his shirt.

Welcome to adulthood, where actions have consequences and "I want" isn't good enough.
Well the teacher was intending to avoid the principal all day so I think it probably is a requirement.
Do actions not have consequences in childhood?...how strange....

alexxela

Anyway, the consequence of a phone going off is that it gets taken off you and is available to be picked up by a parent that same day. Ok. That's fine.

What we have now is a logistical issue. The consequence isn't having your phone confiscated for 3+ weeks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I promise you, sweetheart, there is no requirement that teachers iron their clothes. I've been a teacher and I've been the person who writes dress codes.

Yes, childhood actions have consequences too, but it's children who throw tantrums and insist that they HAVE TO HAVE IT RIGHT NOW! Adults accept the consequences of their actions.

You're not going to die if you don't have your phone. You're not even going to die if you have to collect all your phone numbers again. So stop stamping your feet and start acting like the grown-up person you claim to be.

alexxela

I promise you, sweetheart, there is no requirement that teachers iron their clothes. I've been a teacher and I've been the person who writes dress codes.
Oh you know the policies of every single school everywhere? Both public and private? All our male teachers always have nice shirts. That's why we were laughing with this one.

Yes, childhood actions have consequences too, but it's children who throw tantrums and insist that they HAVE TO HAVE IT RIGHT NOW! Adults accept the consequences of their actions.

You're not going to die if you don't have your phone. You're not even going to die if you have to collect all your phone numbers again. So stop stamping your feet and start acting like the grown-up person you claim to be.
I'm not having a tantrum. I just need my phone back that people use to contact me and which has all my numbers for work and anything related to looking after my mom's house. My friend's numbers would be a bonus.

**I** was the one who told you guys that nobody was going to die.

Unless I'm alone and I come across a really bad car wreck at night or something.

Proserpina

Oh you know the policies of every single school everywhere? Both public and private? All our male teachers always have nice shirts. That's why we were laughing with this one.

I'm not having a tantrum. I just need my phone back that people use to contact me and which has all my numbers for work and anything related to looking after my mom's house. My friend's numbers would be a bonus.

Unless I'm alone and I come across a really bad car wreck at night or something.

Oh good grief. You don't need your phone back. It really IS that simple.

alexxela

What if an alien ship lands, grabs you and you need to call the Air Force, before leaving the atmosphere!!!
Exactly. And there are hundreds more scenarios that we haven't even started to think about yet.

I'm not sure of the Air Force's number though anyway.

Oh good grief. You don't need your phone back. It really IS that simple.
I'd really like it though. And it sounds like my mom's going to see what she can work out with the principal because she wants me to have a phone for the next 3 weeks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And I'm quite sure you are familiar with the policies that your teachers are required to comply with.

But it's immaterial. You know why? Because whether your teacher is or is not required to have his shirt ironed is completely irrelevant to whether the principal can confiscate your phone when you have it on during class.

Yes, I'm aware that you stated no one was going to die. I don't think you really believe that, though.

If it was so vitally important that people be able to contact you through THIS phone, then it was your responsibility to see that you didn't violate the rules with regards to having it on in class. You didn't; now you get to deal with the consequences.

alexxela

But it's immaterial. You know why? Because whether your teacher is or is not required to have his shirt ironed is completely irrelevant to whether the principal can confiscate your phone when you have it on during class.
Of course it's irrelevant to the actual phone. That whole thing was related to the comment made about not being much of an adult due to breaking one rule once.

If it was so vitally important that people be able to contact you through THIS phone, then it was your responsibility to see that you didn't violate the rules with regards to having it on in class. You didn't; now you get to deal with the consequences.
Oh good Lord, I mistakenly broke one rule one time which has a very minor consequence which is complicated by the fact my mother is away.

I'm terrible.

quincy

alexxela, how you choose to speak to someone often has a greater impact than what it is you have to say.

You are showing in your posts here that you do not respect adults all that much. This is not a reflection of your age but rather it is a learned behavior.

I strongly suggest that you unlearn this before you approach your principal again.

Your phone was taken because you violated school policies. You have some legitimate reasons for its return (e.g., your safety, your mom is out of town, employment purposes), if you can present these arguments in the proper way - without excuses for your policy violation, without whining and without foot-stomping or anger or sass.

The principal can hold your phone. You need to convince him you are mature enough to have it back. If these posts are any indication of how you act in real life, though, I am not at all sure you are up for the task.

Good luck.

alexxela

alexxela, how you choose to speak to someone often has a greater impact than what it is you have to say.

You are showing in your posts here that you do not respect adults all that much. This is not a reflection of your age but rather it is a learned behavior.

I strongly suggest that you unlearn this before you approach your principal again.

Your phone was taken because you violated school policies. You have some legitimate reasons for its return (e.g., your safety, your mom is out of town, employment purposes), if you can present these arguments in the proper way - without excuses for your policy violation, without whining and without foot-stomping or anger or sass.

The principal can hold your phone. You need to convince him you are mature enough to have it back. If these posts are any indication of how you act in real life, though, I am not at all sure you are up for the task.

Good luck.
Respect is a 2 way street. I always respect the principal. Yes, good ideas about the legitimate reasons. I am going to wait to see how my mom's negotiations go because I get the impression he REALLY wants to release the phone from captivity into parental type hands.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Respect is a 2 way street. I always respect the principal. Yes, good ideas about the legitimate reasons. I am going to wait to see how my mom's negotiations go because I get the impression he REALLY wants to release the phone from captivity into parental type hands.
No, honey, you don't get respect simply because you breathe. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">