• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:
IAAL has to be a good attorney if he spends so much time on the internet. A bad one would have already lost his office lease and dsl connection. :)

I wouldnt be surprised if he has himself on a lounger with his secretary typing his posts and another one fanning him and dropping grapes in his mouth.

"It's good to be the king" M.Brooks

My response:

How did you know? Jealous? Wealth has its privileges.

Actually, I dictate my responses to my secretary, Gretchen.

Say "hello" to everyone, Gretchen . . .

"Hello. Oh, and Stephen . . . IAAL can beat your pants off in court, any day of the week, rain or shine. He's a terrific employer, and he's paying me great money to say that!"

Now, back to the show.

IAAL

Last edited:

Beth3

w.bruno - here's the deal. The account at the furniture store is in your name. You are 100% liable for payment of the monies owed plus interest, late fees, and any other penalties specified in the original contract with them. You need to work out some sort of payment plan with them asap before they go to court and get a judgement against you, which is exactly what they're going to do if you don't start paying. They don't give a darn about your problems with your sister. All they care about is that YOUR name is on the finance papers and you are responsible for the monies owed.

As it relates to your sister, you can (a) contact the police and file theft charges against her; (b) contact an attorney and file suit against her for the monetary damages she's caused you - the furniture related debts, smashing up your car, etc.; (c) do both; or (d) do nothing. No matter what you do or don't do regarding her, you are still on the hook for the furniture bill.

Unfortunately, your sister took you for a major ride and apparently is completely happy to have left you holding the bag while she scampered off with her lovely new furniture and her new boyfriend-du-jour. And when that situation goes up in flames (as it will), don't be a sucker the second time around when she shows up at your door pleading for shelter and money because of her daughter. Offer to take your niece in but not your sister. If she refuses and you think your niece is in jeopardy, then call social services.

lauras2u

Unfortunately, it sounds like your sister has nothing of her own. If you file a suit and win...what can u collect. The furnature store will not take the furnature back as full-payment as it is worth a small fraction of what you paid for it. You could, if you found her, take the furnature back but that is all the satisfaction I can see you getting out of this situation.

On the other hand, you sister is taking drugs. Is that an environment your niece should be living in? Next week, they might be homeless again. Call social services and file a report (in the state she is in) and give them the telephone number you have.

You learned and expensive lesson. Pay the $3000+ and let it go.

Good luck.

S

Scott Clem

finding your sister

Since you have your sisters phone #, finding her is easy. go to yahoo.com and go to white pages. You can do all sorts of seaches there including backward phone searches. Just type in the phone number and it will give you the exact address. You can also type in her name or her boyfriends and it will give you last known adrresses for both. It's a free service. good luck

treeboss

finding your sister's address

If you have her current telephone number, go to InfoSpace or one of the other telephone directories and do a reverse-look-up. If she's as bad off as you say, she has a listed phone number and this will not only give you her address but, driving directions to her house!
Good luck!;)

lauras2u

I honestly don't think he should be encouraged to go there.

You know i don't have 3k worth of furnature in my bedroom and I have a marble topped 12 foot long dresser...but i didn't buy it new. I was very foolish of him to think neice needed new stuff. He should pay and forget furnature....but concider go getting niece (but not without legal papers for sister to sign).

I too could have told him how to get address but it is better to forget the furnature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">