• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theraputic Dog in Nursing Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dboz

My Dad lives in a nursing home in missouri. He has had a theraputic dog for rehab for about the last month. Last week they told him he could no longer have the dog but did not give a reason. Can they legally make him get rid of the dog or is there something that I can do? Maybe something I can print out and take in to have some sort of ground to stand on when I talk with them. Thanks

quincy

I think, before you do anything else, you need to find out why the nursing home told your dad he could no longer have the dog. They could have a legitimate reason. If there is not a legitimate reason, THEN you could protest. Dogs have been shown to be great therapy.

LindaP777

But who bathes the dog, grooms it, feeds it and cleans the floor from the muddy paw prints? Where is his water bowl? Dogs require more than a handful of food everyday. Imagine every resident decided to get a "theraputic" dog or cat? The place would be a mess! It's also probably in their contract no pets if you look.

Get rid of the dog. He should have asked before he got it.

(FYI - I am an animal lover before you start bashing.)

lealea1005

Although I agree that dogs are great 'therapy", I have to agree with Linda (and I'm a card carrying member of an animal rights group). The dog is a living creature that deserves to be properly cared for, exercised, and fed.

Does the dog have actual documentation of being a "theraputic" dog? There is training involved before that designation can be made. Think of the liability if a improperly trained dog nipped at some one.

Also, one must remember that the home must take into consideration that not all their residents may welcome animals.

Not only may some residents not welcome the dog, but some people have life-threatening allergies to certain foods and animals. Although I love animals, I cannot be around dogs for more than a few minutes. I am severely allergic to them. Within 15 minutes of breathing dog dander my eyes start to swell , and I start to sneeze uncontrollably (yes, one right after another non-stop). If I just pat someone's dog on the head, I must immediately go wash up or I will break out in a rash. I think dogs are adorable, but I cannot imagine having to live around one. And yes, there are allergy medications one can take, but they often have side effects and interact with many other medicines (causing drowsiness, a raise in blood pressure, etc.) This may not be possible for people on many medications in a nursing home to take them, nor may it be covered by their insurance/medicaid/etc. Ask the nursing home what the reason is for not allowing the dog. There may be a legitimate medical reason it cannot be there.

moburkes

OHLL, I was going to say the same thing. I am highly allergic to dogs. I'd have to move. Allergy medicine nor shots are able to help me oftentimes.

you did not mention how long your father has lived in this home. perhaps about a month?

did he have the dog when he moved in and this was acceptable at the time? was the dog originally welcome and then a sudden change of heart?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">