• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They messed up big time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

filiain

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Recently, I had a bank CD at a local bank. About three months later, the CD wasa closed out, and not be me I add. Turns out the bank's legal department told them to cash it out because they had been told by some government office, the clerks office I think, in Cleveland. I do not live in Cleveland. I live in Indiana, the west side of Indiana. So it turns out there is this girl who has the same name as me and got in a car accident and couldn't pay for the damages (I'm not too sure on that part, it's a little fuzzy) and while doing some sort of search on her name, they (the clerks office or someone) found out that someone with the same name has a CD in Indiana. They called the bank's legal and the legal called my bank and the CD was cashed out. Now, when I findo ut about this, I am pissed. Well, we got that all taken care of, but my question is this: if there is a black mark on my credit report about this, what can I do? Is there grounds for a lawsuit here?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Recently, I had a bank CD at a local bank. About three months later, the CD wasa closed out, and not be me I add. Turns out the bank's legal department told them to cash it out because they had been told by some government office, the clerks office I think, in Cleveland. I do not live in Cleveland. I live in Indiana, the west side of Indiana. So it turns out there is this girl who has the same name as me and got in a car accident and couldn't pay for the damages (I'm not too sure on that part, it's a little fuzzy) and while doing some sort of search on her name, they (the clerks office or someone) found out that someone with the same name has a CD in Indiana. They called the bank's legal and the legal called my bank and the CD was cashed out. Now, when I findo ut about this, I am pissed. Well, we got that all taken care of, but my question is this: if there is a black mark on my credit report about this, what can I do? Is there grounds for a lawsuit here?
How does a CD affect your credit report?

ecmst12

The CD wouldn't, but if a collection agency got OP mixed up with someone who had a judgement filed against her, the judgement could theoretically be there.

You should definitely run all 3 of your credit reports and look for anything unusual, especially a judgement. If you find one, you can dispute it with the credit bureau.

filiain

Do you have any recommendations for where to get my credit report? I know you can get them free once a year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">