• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They threw out my art

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curious2727

I live in California and I am having an issue with a local business.
I own my own business and I build metal sculptures and about 12 years ago I let a local company display one at their shop.
I recently requested it from them and they told me it was in storage.
They never got back to me. I called again and they then told me it was lost or possibly even thrown away.
They told me that I was responsible for it being lost/thrown away becasue I was not 'proactive' in getting it back earlier.
What are my options? Can I put a lien on the home or business? Small claims court? A threatening letter from a lawyer?!?!
This was art, from my hands... I am more upset that it has 'vanished'.
What can I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

What EXACTLY does your WRITTEN agreement say as to ownership, custody and disposal/return??

curious2727

There was nothing written. I guess it would be an 'oral contract'. Am I up a river without a paddle or will it be an uphill battle?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">