• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

this is ridiculous

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Isis1

OP, i'm going to tell you something that i only hope you can learn from. you want to make a comment that you didn't kill anyone. therefore what you did wasn't THAT bad

4 years ago i was driving drunk home almost every week. twice on weekends. got away with it, kept going. One night, i had more then enough. headed home. i remember getting in my car. i remember driving down the freeway. i remember pulling over to pee. next thing i remember was slamming into my steering wheel. when i came to, i had rear ended a vehicle so bad my front end was inside someone else's trunk. that car hit a van in front. the van hit a SUV in front of it. i had two broken fingers, a bruised rib. the absolute miracle? i was no longer on the freeway, but on a residential street and all the cars were parked. no one was in them. i was the only one physically hurt.

i got lucky. i didn't kill myself. i didn't kill anyone innocent. i would have given anything to have been pulled over by a cop instead.

your situation isn't ridiculous. it's a sign. be responsible. don't wait for you to kill yourself or someone else for you to stop your path of destruction. plain and simple..

wait till your 21 to drink. and call a cab next time.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
here we go. another funny guy. thanks Jeff, but I have enough degrees to heat your house smart guy. you will have a hard time offending me. SEE, what you don't see is that,....I am not going to go and say "I could of done this...could of done that...could of hit a person, animal, house, child...." why would I say something that didn't happen?
If by "degrees" you mean college degrees, you might want to stop bragging about your education in one sentence, and then saying "could of" in the same paragraph.

The whole point of the punishment for DUI is because of what "could" have happened. Drunk drivers kill and injure other people because they're drunk and they're driving. It's not rocket science. What the hell do you propose? When somebody gets nailed for DUI we go easy on them if nobody got hurt?

When you're driving down the street, any one of those oncoming drivers could be drunk, and allowing for statistics, a certain number of them certainly are. Their cars might as well be stray bullets. So, how about we put a guy with a gun on your street. Once a day he takes a random shot at somebody's house. I'm going to go ahead and guess you'd want somebody to take that pretty damn seriously immediately, instead of waiting until he hurts or kills someone.

cyjeff

here we go. another funny guy. thanks Jeff, but I have enough degrees to heat your house smart guy. you will have a hard time offending me. SEE, what you don't see is that,....I am not going to go and say "I could of done this...could of done that...could of hit a person, animal, house, child...."

why would I say something that didn't happen?
You have all that brain power, but didn't learn that you shouldn't drive drunk when you got arrested not once but twice.

The fact that you obviously have pattern recognition issues, alcohol issues and an ego the size of, apparently, your very large brain doesn't excuse the fact that what you did and continue to do is wrong on a legal, moral and ethical level.

What you did is akin to shooting a gun in a random direction and then demanding the cops let you go because the bullet didn't hit anyone.

There is a reason that your license was pulled and it had nothing to do with your budget savings. The mere reality that fact doesn't seem to sway you is all the more reason that it had to be done.

cyjeff

If by "degrees" you mean college degrees, you might want to stop bragging about your education in one sentence, and then saying "could of" in the same paragraph.

The whole point of the punishment for DUI is because of what "could" have happened. Drunk drivers kill and injure other people because they're drunk and they're driving. It's not rocket science. What the hell do you propose? When somebody gets nailed for DUI we go easy on them if nobody got hurt?

When you're driving down the street, any one of those oncoming drivers could be drunk, and allowing for statistics, a certain number of them certainly are. Their cars might as well be stray bullets. So, how about we put a guy with a gun on your street. Once a day he takes a random shot at somebody's house. I'm going to go ahead and guess you'd want somebody to take that pretty damn seriously immediately, instead of waiting until he hurts or kills someone.
oops, used the same analogy.

Think hearing it twice will help the OP see the possiblity any more than being arrested for the first DUI helped prevent the second?

BigMistakeFl

??

"What-ifs" are, in part at least, the basis of DUI arrests. If we did not stop people like you and me who may not have felt drunk but drove nonetheless after drinking, we might still be at it today. My first/last offense DUI arrest was the cure to me drinking and driving, and I believe it was for you also.

What if I'd not been stopped on January 19, 2005?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
"What-ifs" are, in part at least, the basis of DUI arrests. If we did not stop people like you and me who may not have felt drunk but drove nonetheless after drinking, we might still be at it today. My first/last offense DUI arrest was the cure to me drinking and driving, and I believe it was for you also.

What if I'd not been stopped on January 19, 2005?
Exactly.

What if John Jacob Winne's first two DUI convictions had resulted in a harsher punishment than probation? Who wants to explain to the family of 13 year old Nicole Lalime why he had the chance to rack up the third?

irish77

Have a great weekend everyone. None of the responses or replies were worth responding to. I don't live through a computer, but the friendly banter we've experienced was a joyous experience. Happy Holidays.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa

So here is what happened. I was at a Christmas party and had had three beers. I am a 19 year old, college student. I had had those drinks and had stopped for a sufficient amount of time, about an hour and a half. To be honest, I don't drink a lot and I'm kind of a lightweight. A friend of mine had a date who was feeling sick, so he told her that he would walk her home. She was completely against that because it was 20 degrees outside. Me being the most sober AND responsible person there offered to drive her home. Now I'm the kind of person completely against drunk driving. But in all seriousness, I was stone cold sober. I could have done integral calculus if you wanted me to. So we get in my friends car and make the 1 mile journey to the dorms where this girl lives. I pull up and he takes her up to her room. It takes about 5 minutes for my friend to come back down.

Here's the kicker. I turned off the engine to save gas. While the engine was off, I noticed that the headlights were still on. So I flicked them off. 5 minutes later my friend arrives and I pull out. I turn onto the street and start heading home. A block from my apartment, DUI checkpoint pulls me over for having my headlights off.:mad:

The headlights were going to kick on in a few seconds! The cop tells me that it's a DUI checkpoint and asks me to take the prelim breath test. At this point I realize I'm screwed. But It was freezing cold outside and I'm so nervous. I've never had any trouble with the law. No speeding tickets, no parking tickets, I never even got detention in any of my k-12 schooling. So I was not in the right state of mind to realize I should have declined the FST. I take the FST and I felt like I did well. I literally felt sober. Like I said, they could have handed me a book on integral calculus and I would have made stuff happen. Nope. I take the test and they arrest me anyway. I had to go give a blood test. I could have declined it but I'd face more severe punishment.

I blew a .07 and the blood results showed something similar.

I have no idea what to do now. I hope I don't get some massive fine. I'm a poor college student who is unemployed. I'm stressed out with finals week going on right now. I don't know what the next steps are. Do I need to contact a lawyer? How much will that cost? Is there any way It can get put on the shelf? This is an absolutely terrible situation for me. I'd like to think I'm the model citizen. I've returned lost wallets and I even help run a philanthropy.

Basically I'm asking what is the worst that could happen and what is the best that could happen.

Sorry if I sound like another young person who is freaking out and telling their story. I honestly just do not know what to do.
A true classic.

AHA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa

So here is what happened. I was at a Christmas party and had had three beers. I am a 19 year old, college student. I had had those drinks and had stopped for a sufficient amount of time, about an hour and a half. To be honest, I don't drink a lot and I'm kind of a lightweight. A friend of mine had a date who was feeling sick, so he told her that he would walk her home. She was completely against that because it was 20 degrees outside. Me being the most sober AND responsible person there offered to drive her home. Now I'm the kind of person completely against drunk driving. But in all seriousness, I was stone cold sober. I could have done integral calculus if you wanted me to. So we get in my friends car and make the 1 mile journey to the dorms where this girl lives. I pull up and he takes her up to her room. It takes about 5 minutes for my friend to come back down.

Here's the kicker. I turned off the engine to save gas. While the engine was off, I noticed that the headlights were still on. So I flicked them off. 5 minutes later my friend arrives and I pull out. I turn onto the street and start heading home. A block from my apartment, DUI checkpoint pulls me over for having my headlights off.:mad:

The headlights were going to kick on in a few seconds! The cop tells me that it's a DUI checkpoint and asks me to take the prelim breath test. At this point I realize I'm screwed. But It was freezing cold outside and I'm so nervous. I've never had any trouble with the law. No speeding tickets, no parking tickets, I never even got detention in any of my k-12 schooling. So I was not in the right state of mind to realize I should have declined the FST. I take the FST and I felt like I did well. I literally felt sober. Like I said, they could have handed me a book on integral calculus and I would have made stuff happen. Nope. I take the test and they arrest me anyway. I had to go give a blood test. I could have declined it but I'd face more severe punishment.

I blew a .07 and the blood results showed something similar.

I have no idea what to do now. I hope I don't get some massive fine. I'm a poor college student who is unemployed. I'm stressed out with finals week going on right now. I don't know what the next steps are. Do I need to contact a lawyer? How much will that cost? Is there any way It can get put on the shelf? This is an absolutely terrible situation for me. I'd like to think I'm the model citizen. I've returned lost wallets and I even help run a philanthropy.

Basically I'm asking what is the worst that could happen and what is the best that could happen.

Sorry if I sound like another young person who is freaking out and telling their story. I honestly just do not know what to do.
Calling this "ridiculous" means you haven't learn your lesson, and will drive drunk again. Good luck with that.

So here is what happened. I was at a Christmas party and had had three beers. ... I had had those drinks and had stopped for a sufficient amount of time, about an hour and a half.
Listen, Mr. Smart College Kid, 1.5 hours is NOT enough time for your liver to metabolize the alcohol. 1 hour per shot of liquor, beer or glass of wine is enough time.

Take responsibility for your actions and stop thinking you're King Turd of Crap Hill. You're just another snot nosed brat full of entitlement and himself.

Grow up.

cyjeff

OP, i'm going to tell you something that i only hope you can learn from. you want to make a comment that you didn't kill anyone. therefore what you did wasn't THAT bad

4 years ago i was driving drunk home almost every week. twice on weekends. got away with it, kept going. One night, i had more then enough. headed home. i remember getting in my car. i remember driving down the freeway. i remember pulling over to pee. next thing i remember was slamming into my steering wheel. when i came to, i had rear ended a vehicle so bad my front end was inside someone else's trunk. that car hit a van in front. the van hit a SUV in front of it. i had two broken fingers, a bruised rib. the absolute miracle? i was no longer on the freeway, but on a residential street and all the cars were parked. no one was in them. i was the only one physically hurt.

i got lucky. i didn't kill myself. i didn't kill anyone innocent. i would have given anything to have been pulled over by a cop instead.

your situation isn't ridiculous. it's a sign. be responsible. don't wait for you to kill yourself or someone else for you to stop your path of destruction. plain and simple..

wait till your 21 to drink. and call a cab next time.
I didn't want to pass this by without saying, Thanks.

No one ever appreciates a short cut until they have gone the long way... and I thank you for telling your story.

lenny71

I have to agree with the majority on this on. I have seen some pretty horrific results of drunk driving.

Irish77 - it is never a wise idea to minimize the crime whether in court or in life. People need to accept their mistakes and learn from them. I wonder what the judge would think if the Op started his defense with 'Your Honor, I am not a rapist'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">