• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This just does'nt pan out...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IMPAQT

baystategirl said:
What is a noob, IAAL?
A newbie (also spelled noob, newb, or n00b in the leetspeak of internet culture) is a newcomer to a particular field, the term being commonly used on the internet, where it might refer to new users of a game, a newsgroup, the World Wide Web itself, or an operating system.

It can be both a disparaging and friendly term, always referring to a neophyte, or someone who behaves as such. The word itself is likely a corruption of new boy; a new arrival in a school and who is, therefore, vulnerable to bullying of various kinds. On Google's Usenet archive, the word first appears in 1988 http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac/browse_thread/thread/f94c1a437ac39f3d/68659de9d2d8e42d?q=newbie&_done=/groups?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&num=10&q=newbie&qt_s=Search+Groups&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1987&as_maxd=4&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=1989&&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#68659de9d2d8e42d. The term was used prior to this as slang in the U.S. Military to denote men who had finished technical school and were just arriving to their first permanent assignment.

The words newbie and n00b are sometimes differentiated. If they are, a newbie is someone who follows all protocols and essentially acts like an established user but still in the process of learning, while a n00b is an obnoxious person who has not even considered that they might be irritating others. A stereotype is that they all type in Internet shorthand, which is sometimes known as "AOLer" or "AOL-speak."

There are numerous spelling variations, usually substituting different letters for the vowel sounds and dropping the second syllable (newb, noob, nub). Different spellings may carry different connotations within a particular community, but in general the spelling does not affect the meaning. In practice, differences in interpretation tend to depend more on context than on spelling.
Negative connotations
In a group, the term newbie is often used for a new user who asks allegedly dumb questions (typically questions which are clearly answered in a list of rules or frequently asked questions) and whose behavior does not conform to the accepted standards of the community (often to the point of rudeness), to the consternation or amusement of the old hands. Due to their inexperience, these newcomers are sometimes picked on and may not feel welcome. If they are friendly, they tend to learn more and stay; if not friendly, they tend to be "kicked out" or ostracized.

In some groups, the term is used by the regulars (sometimes called "regs") against any newcomer, whether the newcomer acts ignorantly or not. In this case, the regulars assert their position using what basically amounts to the Internet equivalent of hazing.

Referring to regular members as newbies is often considered to be highly insulting. The implication is that they are behaving as if they do not know the rules when in fact they have had more than sufficient opportunity to learn them.

In some MMORPGs a newbie is anyone who is lower-leveled than the person making the remark, regardless of actual time spent playing the game. (for example, a level 60 player in World of Warcraft may consider a level 30 player a newbie).

Some forums and MMORPGs have banned some of the more common variations ("newb," "noob", "n00b") in an attempt to reduce flame wars. This has led, of course, to more variations.
Positive connotations

In other communities, newbies are received with extra attention. Some chat rooms, for example, have established rules to ask "oldies" to first answer the newbies' questions or concerns before resuming their ongoing discussions.

Other communities do not treat newbies with a significantly elevated status, but do greet most of the friendly newbies with welcomes informing them the methods to get help.

In these situations, the term is basically synonymous with newcomer and is meant with or without affection.

The positive interpretation is probably the more recent but has become quite common. The only way to determine the intended connotation is to examine the context.

Individuals may refer to themselves as newbies in a self-deprecating manner or in acknowledgment of their newcomer status, which may (or may not) lessen the amount of harassment they receive. This may have negative or a positive connotations, depending on the standards of the community.
Noob or n00b

A noob, n00b, nub, or übern00b is a newbie who claims to know a lot about a subject, but really does not. They often show off their false skills to gain a reputation. The term is usually meant to be offensive. It was first used in hacker groups on the BBS chat systems in the 1970s. It is important to note that noob and newb are not necessarily interchangeable.

The spelling noob or n00b, while originally having a specific meaning, is now generally used to refer to all forms of newbies, usually in a joking manner. In a context where newbie means simply new, n00b may sometimes be used as the derogatory equivalent.

In online gaming, the term is also often used as a general insult. Frustrated players on the losing team may refer to the winning team as noobs. In this case, there is no actual connotation of newness meant, the word is simply being used as an insult.
Noob Play

Someone who calls others a noob.
Noob Talk

An underground joke is "Noob talk" or "NOB TAKL". Noob talk is when an individual uses harsh spelling errors and terrible punctuation to insult noobs. A lot of "real" noob talk is found on games such as Gunbound or Ragnarok Online. An example of this dialect is "ITAM PLEX" (translated into "Items Please"). Noob talk is fairly simple to grasp: one makes numerous spelling mistakes and overuses common Internet abbreviations. It is easy to discern when somebody is jocularly using noob talk if they do things such as add words like BBQ after LOL and add 1111oneone after an exclamation mark. Newblicon, nooblicon, and newbsicle are also variations.

An example would be: omfgwtfbbq noob!

Or a more extended example: ! r0Xx0rz l!k3 4 1337 h4xX0r5 4nd FU n00b ch33k 0u7 //y VV3b 5!t3 l1k3 n0VV 1337133713371337 n00b!! i ! 4M JW 4k4 H0b4r7 t3h 1337 haxX0rz u n00b
Noob as a verb

The verb "noob" means "to own (pwn in some cases) someone like a noob." Noob is not necessarily a derogatory verb, but can be depending on the context. For instance: if person A beats person B to the point where person B looked like a newbie in comparison, person A noobed person B. Anywhere person A could say they owned or beat person B like person B was a noob or newbie, person A noobed person B.

It is also possible to hear the verb used in the opposite context. If person A is new to the game or does not play well and beats person B on a lucky chance, then person B may say that they "got noobed", especially if he or she is an excellent player. Noob as a derogatory verb is therefore not be hard to achieve, as it is merely an extension of its noun and adjective counterparts.

Hence the quote "a n00b is an obnoxious person who has not even considered that they might be irritating others".

Last edited:

outonbail

Grow a brain, learn how to read,
IMPAQT,

Install a program that corrects your grammar and does a spelling check before you start throwing rocks in that direction, you write like an idiot!

IMPAQT

Im trying to make my posts as short as possible, so i cut it down. Nobodys perfect, i dont know why you people act like YOU are.

Just Blue

outonbail said:
IMPAQT,

Install a program that corrects your grammar and does a spelling check before you start throwing rocks in that direction, you write like an idiot!

LMFAO...This moron is calling IAAL a noobie?? Too Fing funny!!:D

IMPAQT

I am done. Im going to report the bashing to forum administrators. I came here asking for advice, not half-baked comments and opinions. Better refer to the Forum Terms of Service, as quoted from it: You agree that you will NOT post any knowingly false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, or threatening message.

Grow up.

smutlydog

IMPAQT said:
Ok, on Monday, Jan. 16th of 2006, two undercover detectives came to my girlfriends home(i am currently living with her). When i answered the door, they asked if she(girlfriend) was here. I told them to hold on, she was in the bed. I had no idea they were officers. I thought maybe they were a couple of her friends, due to the fact they had plain clothes on. I got her up, and she looked out the window, and told me she didnt know them. As i went back to the door to tell them to leave, the one undercover pulled his badge from underneath his shirt. After showing the badge, he asked me if he could enter the home. I asked why, and he stated that he "only wanted to talk to her". I told him, NO, that it wasnt MY house per-say, and that he would have to wait for her to allow them to enter. She came out and approached them at the door, i didnt actually hear her say they could enter, because i was sitting at the computer, which about 15 feet away, behind a walkway, turning the music off. So, the next thing i know i see them enter around the corner. They then told her they only wanted to talk to her. They did not read her any maranda rights. They began by asking her about certain individuals who she might know who sell drugs(possibly to get her to wear a wire). She told them no, that she didnt. After more questions on the same subject, she began getting frustrated, and got rude. The one undercover cop said "i dont have to listen to your mouth", yanked her up, put her in handcuffs. He then proceeded by telling her to sit down, but before she could, he grabbed her by the arms, aggresively, and while grabbing her, took the cushions off the coutch(probably to check for a weapon), and then pretty much slammed her onto the couch. Then, after getting REAL irate with her(and pissing me off on the sidelines), He then started writing a citation.

He wrote(from my memory): In the Month of December, 2005, an agent working with Owensboro Street Crimes Unit, purchased marijuana and xanaxs from Amy Doe @ 123 Anywhere Street, Owensboro, KY 42xxx. All purchases were controlled buys within the home of said subject. Detective also said the subjects kids were present in the room while they buys were being executed.

Keep in mind, the kids are in thier room at the time of arrest. The undercover then rpoceeded to call Children & Family Services. 30 minutes later they show up, take the kids, take my girlfriend to jail.

What justification do the police have for taking my gilfriend to jail, if the "so-called" buys were not made at the time of arrest? How can they arrest her, on the fact they came just to "ask her some questions", and not reading her her maranda rights? I was witness to the whole account, other than her actually allowing them into the home.

*Also* While all this is going on, after he slammed her onto the couch, the other detective, which didnt say anything the whole time, picks up my ashtray, and starts sifting through it. My girlfriend said, "you dont have any right searching my trhough my stuff". The detective said "well, its in plain-sight, i can search it, and you better hope i dont find a seed, stem, or roach in this ashtray". So, after sifting he DOES find a roach, but its a cigarette roach(cheaper sometimes to roll em ;) ). He then said "whats this?" I said well, i roll cigarettes all the time, but he didnt ask, nor did i produce anything that suggested that i do roll cigarettes. He simply ignored it and dropped it back into the ashtray. Now, i thought that plain-sight ment that if you actually SEE something that suggests probable cause. Not Just simply because there is a ashtray in plain-sight, that you cant just start sifting through it, HOPING to find some kind of incriminating evidence. Am i right? All while not having any kind of search warrent or warrent for arrest either?

She did 7 days and they released her on her on O.R., which is based on a point system here. This system determines if you are released from jail, or to remain in jail until bail is satisfied, or if not bailed, until a court hearing. The higher the points you have, the more likely you are to be released on your O.R.(own recognizance). I think the max you can get is 16. She got a score of 14+. No flight-risk, hasent commited any offences in years, and only a petty possesion of marijuana charge, back in the 80's. And it was a roach:p

It sounds to me like a bogus, he-say-she-say kinda deal. But i would like to know if anyone has been in this kind of situation, or if you have any insight or information as to what can or should be done about the fact that:

A.)They stated they wanted to ask questions, asked her questions, but didnt read her her maranda rights.

B.)They arrested her, not on the basis of a drug deal being made at the home at the time of arrest, but from over one month earlier(which is still to be proven, cause i know she smokes, but i also know she doesnt traffic it -sells nor gives away.

Charges were:

Two counts of trafficing a controlled substance within 1000 tards of a school, as staed on the citation wrote during her arrest.

If you read it all i thank your for taking the time to get involed and help me out. Much appreciated.
None of this makes any sense. If the cops made a controlled buy they usually have a search warrant with them. This seems like a knock and talk situation which involves gathering more evidence so that they can search the place

http://www.forensic-evidence.com/site/Police/Pol_knocktalk.html

If the controlled buy did take place they will probably have solid evidence to back that up. It would be difficult to fight something like that. Maybe they were to lazy too get a warrant and thought “ If she refuses us entry we will then get a warrant.”

It could be that there is some kind of loose end with regard to the informant that made the controlled buy. When your lawyer files for discovery that will come in the open.

IMPAQT

Noob talk is fairly simple to grasp: one makes numerous spelling mistakes and overuses common Internet abbreviations. Maybe we are all noobs?:D ;)

IMPAQT

smutlydog said:
None of this makes any sense. If the cops made a controlled buy they usually have a search warrant with them. This seems like a knock and talk situation which involves gathering more evidence so that they can search the place

http://www.forensic-evidence.com/site/Police/Pol_knocktalk.html

If the controlled buy did take place they will probably have solid evidence to back that up. It would be difficult to fight something like that. Maybe they were to lazy too get a warrant and thought “ If she refuses us entry we will then get a warrant.”

It could be that there is some kind of loose end with regard to the informant that made the controlled buy. When your lawyer files for discovery that will come in the open.
Thank GOD! Someone with some real intel. Of course i knew that. Which is what i told her to file with her attorney. I cant understand how they can just pick something up and search it(was nothing to search, nothing is sight). And just arrest her??Found nothing. Just a up and grab arrest. No search warrent(she knows of ppl who sell, but why should she have to rat them out, its not our job to be the police, should we be forced beyond or will??). I cant wait to see what they got...(a bag full of plea bargains and a yellow office envelope with lint in it) :D Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. I read the link, but, i dont understand, if you dont find anything, why take her to jail? False arrest? Unlawful imprisonment? Are her rights, and mine, been violated?

Last edited:

smutlydog

IMPAQT said:
Thank GOD! Someone with some real intel. Of course i knew that. Which is what i told her to file with her attorney. I cant understand how they can just pick something up and search it(was nothing to search, nothing is sight). And just arrest her??Found nothing. Just a up and grab arrest. No search warrent(she knows of ppl who sell, but why should she have to rat them out, its not our job to be the police, should we be forced beyond or will??). I cant wait to see what they got...(a bag full of plea bargains and a yellow office envelope with lint in it) :D Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. I read the link, but, i dont understand, if you dont find anything, why take her to jail? False arrest? Unlawful imprisonment? Are her rights, and mine, been violated?
The cops are claming controlled buy so you have to wait and see what they have on her.
Are they putting alot of pressure on her to do snitch work?That sometimes but not always spells weak case.

IMPAQT

smutlydog said:
The cops are claming controlled buy so you have to wait and see what they have on her.
Are they putting alot of pressure on her to do snitch work?That sometimes but not always spells weak case.
Like i said from the beginning, thats what they wanted to "talk" to her about. She wasn't talkin.... But they haven't been back since. When all pans out, i think we are going to sue. Im sick of police abusing thier authority.

Last edited:

smutlydog

IMPAQT said:
Like i said from the beginning, thats what they wanted to "talk" to her about. She wasn't talkin.... When all pans out, i think we are going to sue. Im sick of police abusing thier authority.
You have to show damages.

IMPAQT

smutlydog said:
You have to show damages.
Punitive. Loss of children, loss of Section 8, jail time, jail fees, deflamation of character, illegal search, illegal arrest and/or fines, court costs.

Last edited:

justalayman

IMPAQT said:
Punitive. Loss of children, loss of Section 8, jail time, jail fees, deflamation of character, and/or fines, court costs.
Is that when somebody bursts your bubble and tells you that it won't work.

So far, the cops are right with very few POSSIBLE exceptions.

You are either in a state of denial or pulling everybodies leg here.
If you are serious, you have no clue as to what is going on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">