• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threats via email

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DisabledGeek89

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My former best friend who before was harassing me with videos and emails has now as of Thanksgiving been making death threats, including ones against law enforcement if they approach him. I have filed a police report against him. I am working with the officer. What kind of charges might be brought against him and how much time might he get? I want this ordeal to end, I am upset it has come to this, we used to be good friends. Its a long story what happened. Also might I be asked to testify? I am willing to but just asking. Thanks in advance for any answers.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My former best friend who before was harassing me with videos and emails has now as of Thanksgiving been making death threats, including ones against law enforcement if they approach him. I have filed a police report against him. I am working with the officer. What kind of charges might be brought against him and how much time might he get? I want this ordeal to end, I am upset it has come to this, we used to be good friends. Its a long story what happened. Also might I be asked to testify? I am willing to but just asking. Thanks in advance for any answers.
You really should have added these questions to one of the other threads you have started about your harassing friend. It helps us help you better if we have the background information easily available to refer to when offering advice.

Your ex-best friend could be looking at both state and federal computer crimes.

Yes, you potentially could be called to testify should charges be filed against this fellow.

DisabledGeek89

You really should have added these questions to one of the other threads you have started about your harassing friend. It helps us help you better if we have the background information easily available to refer to when offering advice.

Your ex-best friend could be looking at both state and federal computer crimes.

Yes, you potentially could be called to testify should charges be filed against this fellow.
He started making threats on Thanksgiving, he was trying to make me look bad and rambling in emails but now he has crossed the Rubicon when he threatened me.

quincy

He started making threats on Thanksgiving, he was trying to make me look bad and rambling in emails but now he has crossed the Rubicon when he threatened me.
Threats of violence do indeed cross a legal line. You were smart to report the threats to the police.

DisabledGeek89

I might get a protective order for the time, do I need a current photo ID? Mine is expired can I use alternate ID like my Social Security Card?

quincy

I might get a protective order for the time, do I need a current photo ID? Mine is expired can I use alternate ID like my Social Security Card?
You will want an ID with your photo eventually so now might be a good time to get one but you can file for a restraining order without one.

zddoodah

What kind of charges might be brought against him
That's up to the state's attorney and depends primarily on the threats (which we haven't read) and whatever additional evidence might be uncovered through investigation.

and how much time might he get?
Depends on whether and what charges are brought and whether or not he's convicted.

Also might I be asked to testify?
If charges are filed, of course you'll be compelled to testify ("asked" isn't the right word).

I am willing to
That's good because you won't have a choice.

I might get a protective order for the time, do I need a current photo ID?
No, you don't need a current photo ID to get a protective order (but you should get yours renewed).

quincy

That's up to the state's attorney and depends primarily on the threats (which we haven't read) ...
Apparently the threats were “death threats,” but I agree that the wording of the threats matters.

Also considered would be if the threats are seen as something that could reasonably be carried out by the person making the threats (although in this age of hitmen for hire, I suppose anything is possible).

DisabledGeek89

He sent them to multiple people in one email and said he would kill us all. Including county workers at my county. I will get my ID renewed too, I plan on doing that anyway. He also like I said threatened violence against law enforcement if they approached him. He made mention of using Molotov cocktails.

quincy

He sent them to multiple people in one email and said he would kill us all. Including county workers at my county. I will get my ID renewed too, I plan on doing that anyway. He also like I said threatened violence against law enforcement if they approached him. He made mention of using Molotov cocktails.
Again, it was good that you reported the fellow to the police. They will investigate and turn their findings over to the prosecutor for possible charges, this if he is not immediately arrested.

Until he is in custody (assuming the police find good to arrest him), be careful and work on getting the protective order. An order of protection does not mean you are safe from harm but it does mean that if the order is violated, the violator can be immediately arrested.

Good luck.

DisabledGeek89

If he is arrested and seek a civil suit for slander or defamation of character what can I expert? He is on SSI and SSDI as well. I read that those are stopped if someone is locked up. Should I just talk to a lawyer, find someone who works pro bono who can help me?

quincy

If he is arrested and seek a civil suit for slander or defamation of character what can I expert? He is on SSI and SSDI as well. I read that those are stopped if someone is locked up. Should I just talk to a lawyer, find someone who works pro bono who can help me?
A defamation suit probably would be a waste of time, effort and money if the guy has no income or assets to satisfy a judgment, should you win a lawsuit and should you be awarded more than nominal damages. And there is no guarantee that you’d win.

Talking to a local attorney is your best course of action. A personal review of the publications made against you is necessary.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">