• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threats via email

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zddoodah

a video made by my ex friend was brought to my attention. While no threats where made it did mention me a few times. I have a no contact order against him. Does this apply in anyway me and my case manager are trying to determine that.
Case manager?

In any event, without having seen the video, no one here can comment on it intelligently. There's certainly no reason to believe that a video, even one posted publicly, that merely mentions you would violate a "no contact order" or that the police would care in the slightest.

DisabledGeek89

Case manager?

In any event, without having seen the video, no one here can comment on it intelligently. There's certainly no reason to believe that a video, even one posted publicly, that merely mentions you would violate a "no contact order" or that the police would care in the slightest.
I am disabled, I have a case manager via the county.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suggested that you report the video to the police so that they can decide if the content rises to the level of a violation of the protection order. It was suggested above that such a report is useless, and in the end it may be, but let the police do their job on this.

zddoodah

I suggested that you report the video to the police so that they can decide if the content rises to the level of a violation of the protection order. It was suggested above that such a report is useless, and in the end it may be, but let the police do their job on this.
It is not the job of the police to review videos and determine if they violate no contact orders. The OP hasn't articulated any reason to believe that the video violates the order (indeed, if the only issue is that the video mentions the OP (while not making any threat), it is protected speech). He/she is, of course, under no obligation to convince us of anything. However, until and unless he/she can articulate a basis why the video violates the order, he/she should not waste the police's time.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is not the job of the police to review videos and determine if they violate a contact orders.
I disagree. The job of the police is to investigate possible offenses, including violations of protective orders.
The OP hasn't articulated any reason to believe that the video violates the order (indeed, if the only issue is that the video mentions the OP (while not making any threat), it is protected speech).
I agree, however, we were told very little about the video and it isn't our job to determine if it may violate the protective order.
He/she is, of course, under no obligation to convince us of anything. However, until and unless he/she can articulate a basis why the video violates the order, he/she should not waste the police's time.
I agree that the OP would probably need more than just a mention in the video. Of course, the behavior being restrained in the order will matter as well. That is why the OP should speak to the police.

EDIT: To be clear, I understand that the police likely have no duty to investigate, however, such investigation absolutely does fall within what would generally be considered their "job".

quincy

Hate to post in a thread this old but a video made by my ex friend was brought to my attention. While no threats where made it did mention me a few times. I have a no contact order against him. Does this apply in anyway me and my case manager are trying to determine that.
If you have been reporting all threats to the police (as has been recommended several times that you do), the police will add this latest threat to your history of complaints. If there has been a violation of a protection order, the police can move to arrest your harasser.

DisabledGeek89

Turned out the video was not violating the order. Well at least its on record.
That being said here is an example of the bad things he said about me, its small bit of the description of his most recent video on me. I blurred out my real name for this upload for privacy sake.

Do you guys think I have a case if I do elect to talk to a lawyer? NONE of the stuff he said is true btw.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Turned out the video was not violating the order. Well at least its on record.
That being said here is an example of the bad things he said about me, its small bit of the description of his most recent video on me. I blurred out my real name for this upload for privacy sake.

Do you guys think I have a case if I do elect to talk to a lawyer? NONE of the stuff he said is true btw.
Just keeping reporting the incidents to establish what's happened. It will be useful in renewing the order. While he may be abiding by the letter of the order, it is clear that he has very hostile feelings towards you, and it is understandable why you feel threatened.

Unfortunately, the best way to deal with this person is to not engage - don't bother suing. Think about how silly he sounds - you're stalking Rice Krispies (cereal) on the internet? He's announced to the world that you had a credible case against him - that's why your case worker helped you. HE is the one people should be warning their children to avoid - he doesn't sound stable.

If you don't sink to his level, and focus on living your best life, you WIN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">