• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time Limit on a settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A329492

What is the name of your state? AZ
I was injured in January of 2003. I have had two surgeries on my shoulder since. I was told by my caseworker in June of 2005 that they were working on a settlement offer. He said as soon as the insurance company came up with an offer they would send it to the Employer where I got hurt. I know my ex-employer recieved the settlement offer in August 2005. I was told in December of 05 I was told by my caseworker as well as the employer that everything should be taken care of before the end of the year. In mid January 06 I called my caseworker and he told me that the Company is writing there own offer and told me that they would have it back to him by mid February 06 at the latest. It's past Feb. now and still no word. I had heard from someone before that there was a time limit on how long they can take to offer a settlement. Is this true and if it is what would be the time frame in which they have. If not true, on average, how long does this usually take to finalize.
Thanks for your help

tjr5150

A329492 said:
What is the name of your state? AZ
I was injured in January of 2003. I have had two surgeries on my shoulder since. I was told by my caseworker in June of 2005 that they were working on a settlement offer. He said as soon as the insurance company came up with an offer they would send it to the Employer where I got hurt. I know my ex-employer recieved the settlement offer in August 2005. I was told in December of 05 I was told by my caseworker as well as the employer that everything should be taken care of before the end of the year. In mid January 06 I called my caseworker and he told me that the Company is writing there own offer and told me that they would have it back to him by mid February 06 at the latest. It's past Feb. now and still no word. I had heard from someone before that there was a time limit on how long they can take to offer a settlement. Is this true and if it is what would be the time frame in which they have. If not true, on average, how long does this usually take to finalize.
Thanks for your help
If you were hurt on the job, I asume you are recieving workman's comp.
Have you reached MMI(maxium medical improvement)yet?
Are you still recieving work comp benifits?
I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
If the insurance company was to offer to a settlement, your employer would not would not know what they are offering you. A settlement is between you and the insurance. In my opinion I think you should consult with a workman's comp attorney..

Lisabyday

tjr5150 said:
If you were hurt on the job, I asume you are recieving workman's comp.
Have you reached MMI(maxium medical improvement)yet?
Are you still recieving work comp benifits?
I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
If the insurance company was to offer to a settlement, your employer would not would not know what they are offering you. A settlement is between you and the insurance. In my opinion I think you should consult with a workman's comp attorney..
Is the company self-insured? If not then the company has nothing to do with the settlement offer. This is one of the reasons that it is sometimes best that you get an attorney involved and file a lawsuit early on.

A329492

I reached MMI in April of 2005 I was put in a On Job Training program at this time. I am not sure if they are self-insured or not. I dont think they are. They are a huge company with manufacturing plants all over the world. I didnt make sence to me that the employer would make a settlement offer or have anything to do with it since the insurance was taking care of everything else.

Thanks for your input

Still, is there a time limit for a settlement?

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">