• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time Limit on Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peppylady

What is the name of your state? Florida

I've posted before about my father's estate. My brother is sueing me. He is sueing me for money that is not part of the estate. Is there a time limit on Probate in Florida? It will be 2 years. The money in question was left to me in a POD acct and he wants to make it part of the estate. Saying it belongs to him too!
Please help cause I have no closure with my poor dead father. It seems so unfair for this to go on as long as it has. Is there some way we can petition probate to close it out?

Dandy Don

What do your attorneys say? Since this money is outside of probate, there will be no applicable time limit as far as probate is concerned, since this is a business law matter that you will win. You failed to mention if any court hearings at all regarding this have takekn place.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

peppylady

My brother added the funds to the probated assets. There has been no court hearings, just motions, pleadings, mediations and depos. I don't think the judge every looks at this stuff. I am now suing him for wrongful suit or whatever you want to call it. I filed a counter claim. I know he can't use the money in the estate checking for any of his legal fees because my lawyer filed a paper to tell the probate court there is a lawsuit pending. I just want closure on my father's estate. It is a big mess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">