• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time limits on med bills from ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JanetD44

What is the name of your state?New York
My name is Janet. My husband has two kids with his ex-girlfriend. Recently she sent him 6 years of medical bills for the kids. Most of them are co-payment amounts which I believe he pays for in his child support. Is there a statute of limitation for submitting these medical bills?
Thanks
Janet

LdiJ

topsidder said:
I believe so. Check your state statue for time limits on certain debts.
Actually, I don't think any state has a statute of limitation for child support related matters than doesn't last until the child is well into adulthood. However it might be different for medical reimbursements.

The OP needs to realize though that unless she is in Indiana, or another one of the handful of states that requires that the cp pay a specific percentage/dollar amount of unreimbursed medical expenses before the "split" kicks in, that copays are NOT included in base child support.

Why wasn't the ncp contributing to the medical expenses all along? Did the cp try and the ncp wouldn't cooperate?....or did the cp just arbitrarily decide to go after the ncp now? If its the later a judge might disallow some of the more older expenses.

JanetD44

My husband pays $37.50 bi-weekly for health care expenses in his child support. His ex never went after him for unreimbursed med bills. Since we got married now she wants him to pay for uncovered/unreimbursed bills from 98-03. In his new custody agreement she has to supply him with bills within 48 hours.

LdiJ

JanetD44 said:
My husband pays $37.50 bi-weekly for health care expenses in his child support. His ex never went after him for unreimbursed med bills. Since we got married now she wants him to pay for uncovered/unreimbursed bills from 98-03. In his new custody agreement she has to supply him with bills within 48 hours.
No, the 37.50 bi-weekly is his share of the cost of the children's health insurance. He still has to pay his share of the unreimbursed medical expenses, which includes co-pays, deductibles or anything else that insurance doesn't pay.

If his original order stated that he had to pay a portion of unreimbursed medical expenses (and it probably did, that is normal) then the judge is going to make him pay at least a portion of those bills. Maybe not all of them, but at least some of them.

From now on though, if she doesn't provide him the bill within 48 hours (double check that though, its usually 10-30 days) then he won't have to pay.

audster

Illinois, extensive dealings with Indiana and Kentucky

Just to throw in 2 cents, my ex submitted a ton (about 3 years worth) of bills to me, and has also tried a few times to name me to the hospital as the payee (i think she had her husband sign my name at admissions) and the jusdge threw it all out because I had provided Insurance at extra cost for extra coverage and she was maliciously refusing to use my insurance card (of which I furnished her). Of course she then later tried to have my cs raised , citing medical bills as a reason, but thats another story....

LdiJ

audster said:
Illinois, extensive dealings with Indiana and Kentucky

Just to throw in 2 cents, my ex submitted a ton (about 3 years worth) of bills to me, and has also tried a few times to name me to the hospital as the payee (i think she had her husband sign my name at admissions) and the jusdge threw it all out because I had provided Insurance at extra cost for extra coverage and she was maliciously refusing to use my insurance card (of which I furnished her). Of course she then later tried to have my cs raised , citing medical bills as a reason, but thats another story....
That sounds like what I would expect the judge to rule, because of the extra coverage she refused to use. However if you hadn't had that extra coverage then you probably would have had to pay at least some of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">