• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To sue an online forum

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedoraman

Well Sir,

I don;t want to argue with you on this for 2 reasons:

1. You seem to be technically sound.
2. I think I can elaborate my case to the extent that it "appears" that Iam right.

In any case, coming to the issue of banning my IP. Well, one, it prevents "innocent" parties using that IP from registering on the forum. It is like refusing my wife drinks because her husband spoke something that the bartender did not like.

How is this even remotely justified?

CSO286

Well Sir,

2. I think I can elaborate my case to the extent that it "appears" that Iam right.

In any case, coming to the issue of banning my IP. Well, one, it prevents "innocent" parties using that IP from registering on the forum. It is like refusing my wife drinks because her husband spoke something that the bartender did not like.

How is this even remotely justified?

Thye own the forum (or as in in the illustration: the bar). They can make up the rules.

Last edited:

tranquility

Look at it like this. Say someone comes into your house. He's a friend, you have dinner together and, at dinner, he politely says, "I think your 10 year old daughter is really hot."

You tell him to knock it off. And he says, "Don't be such a prude. I mean really, she's really hot."

You tell him to leave. He replies "This is just a sensitive issue with you and I am raising it in an absolutely civil manner. I don't see how you can prevent me from expressing just how incredibly hot your daughter is."

Can *you* think of a way?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I suppose somebody should say, however, that one thing that bar can't do is violate someone's civil rights. Remember when Denny's was sued for racial discrimination? But even that can get a little dicey, depending on the circumstances.

fedoraman

Dear tranquility,

the opinions I raise in the said forum are far , far remote from anything as inciting as "I think your 10 year old daughter is really hot."

I really believe the administrator of the forum throws me out because I have challenged his thoughts and opinions.

I TOTALLY understand it is HIS website. But, even theoretically, I ahve not violated the rules of the forum.

How insulted would you feel if someone throws you out of a bar just because he doesnt like you. Thats where I am trying to get at.

fedoraman

ok, a simple question. no more arguments. Can someone refuse to serve you drinks for NO REASON? Even if they own the bar. JUst because something makes the person doesnt like you.

Silverplum

Well Sir,

I found this highly amusing: so amusing, in fact, I might snag it for my sig! :p

>Charlotte<

Lurker
ok, a simple question. no more arguments. Can someone refuse to serve you drinks for NO REASON? Even if they own the bar. JUst because something makes the person doesnt like you.

Yeah. They really can.

It might not be fair, but it's not illegal. "Unfair" and "illegal" are not the same thing.

(Silverplum--me, too)

fedoraman

Well,

though I am personally offended by my online experience, the moral of the story I guess is "don't go to that bar again" :)

At least thanks fro all your inputs. I am at least a little more educated today :)

quincy

As an additional and perhaps overlooked note, this particular site is a U.S.-based site (and it covers U.S. Law only).

Your rights to free expression, fedoraman, are bound to be even more restricted in other countries (ie. in any of the illustrations provided by the forum members here, you may be lucky to escape with your hands, arms or head intact should you challenge a homeowner or bar owner's rights to bar or ban you for your speech ;)).

Last edited:

fedoraman

Quincy,

though you might have said it in a lighter tone, that is very true. I am an immigrant myself and a permanent resident of the United States and have the greatest amount of respect for the law of the United States. Not only because of its framework but more importantly because of how it is enforced (an excellent indicator of a developed country).

swalsh411

Wow. An OP who doesn't continue to argue that they are right even after they have been proven unquestionably incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">