• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

too much money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But is he receiving the correct amount under the contract? Not having read it, I'm not prepared to say so.
He says that:
i am on swing shift and the raise was for 2 dollars more a hour for swing shift and graveyard was for 4 dollars a hour, the contract I received was for 4 dollars a hour . I am worried I will have to pay back their mistake
In other words, he was supposed to get $2 per hour, but the contract he received was for $4 and he's being paid $4 (more per hour).

I would agree that we haven't seen his contract to be able to review it (nor should we). I also wonder if the OP is actually talking about a "contract".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your question was, should you tell your employer.

My answer is yes, you should tell your employer.

Anything else?

adjusterjack

i am receiving the amount the contract states but it is more ($2) than I should be getting
I don't understand that. If the contract says you get X dollars and you are getting X dollars, do you think you should be getting less than X dollars? If so, why?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't understand that. If the contract says you get X dollars and you are getting X dollars, do you think you should be getting less than X dollars? If so, why?
Because all of the conversations & negotiations up to that point indicated Y dollars more, not X dollars more. The OP is concerned that his silence may have a negative consequence.

quincy

The contract could be voidable by the employer if the rate of pay entered on the contract differs from the oral agreement. If simply a scriveners error, the mistake should have been caught when the contract was read over, before it’s signing.

LdiJ

The contract could be voidable by the employer if the rate of pay entered on the contract differs from the oral agreement. If simply a scriveners error, the mistake should have been caught when the contract was read over, before it’s signing.
Maybe, but the employer did not catch it either before signing it.

LdiJ

True. A mutual mistake is possible - and still could make the contract voidable.

"Could"? Maybe. Anything is possible. However, I think that it would be harder to claim that kind of correctable error when neither party caught it. However I do agree that it would earn him more Brownie points with the boss if he pointed out the potential error, even if the boss decided to honor the signed contract.

quincy

"Could"? Maybe. Anything is possible. However, I think that it would be harder to claim that kind of correctable error when neither party caught it. However I do agree that it would earn him more Brownie points with the boss if he pointed out the potential error, even if the boss decided to honor the signed contract.
Not really. A lot of errors in contracts are overlooked by both parties. A lot of errors in many different kinds of writings are overlooked. The reader either makes mental corrections while reading or the reader simply is not paying attention to the details.

Hence the invention of editors. ;)

LdiJ

Not really. A lot of errors in contracts are overlooked by both parties. A lot of errors in many different kinds of writings are overlooked. The reader either makes mental corrections while reading or the reader simply is not paying attention to the details.

Hence the invention of editors. ;)
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I have seen contracts upheld with this kind of error. True, the one in particular I am thinking of was not an employment contract, but it was a negotiated contract that had an off season reduction in pricing that didn't make it into the written contract, accidentally. That contract was upheld.

quincy

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I have seen contracts upheld with this kind of error. True, the one in particular I am thinking of was not an employment contract, but it was a negotiated contract that had an off season reduction in pricing that didn't make it into the written contract, accidentally. That contract was upheld.
Sure. It is possible that the contract could be upheld as written if the employer challenged it.

However, warn59 has said he believes the rate of pay entered could have been written in error because it did not reflect the oral agreement.

From the Restatement (Second) of Contracts, Chapter 6, Mistakes.

Section 152 (1): “Where a mistake by both parties at the time a contract was made as to a basic assumption on which the contract was made has a material effect on the agreed exchange of performances, the contract is voidable by the adversely affected party unless he bears the risk of the mistake under the rule stated in section 154.
Section 152(2): In determining whether the mistake has a material effect on the agreed exchange of performances, account is taken of any relief by way of reformation, restitution, or otherwise.”

Section 155: “Where a writing that evidences or embodies an agreement in whole or in part fails to express the agreement because of a mistake of both parties as to the contents or effect of the writing, the court may at the request of a party reform the writing to express the agreement, except to the extent that rights of third parties such as good faith purchasers of value will be unfairly affected.”

I think the consensus of members is that warn59 should speak with his employer. I agree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">