• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tow company/repair shop issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suthrnsweetie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? tx

i will be honest, i have no idea where this should be. if i'm in the wrong place, tell me.

a month ago, my car died in a BK parking lot. told manager my repair shop was coming to get it the next day, she said fine. sounds good right? well "my" repair shop is actually a woman who owns a shop that my new husband referred me to.
so here's about how the conflict goes:
day 1-car dies

day 3-MY shop picks it up

days 4 to 8-work done(she was "helping" by discounting work, so we were last in line)

day 9 or 10-the tow truck company used by BK, STEALS my car from my repair shop! shop owner describes to me her video proof, how she already called and reported it, as well as was getting my car returned.

day 11 or 12-she files small claims for damages. seems BK towing co. took a hammer to my engine. BK towing actually told ME when i called raging that "we knew you had a key, so we needed to disable the vehicle". wait for it:rolleyes:

day 16 or so-she goes to court, and tells me she not only sued for the damage they DID to my car, but also, she refuses to let me pick up my car, til the court pays her for redoing the work. ok, i say. i'm a little curious at this point. seems like she wants them to pay for the ORIGINAL work done also, and some drama about a $5 hinge broken on her gate.

so, here comes last friday, 10/21/11..i'm not sure the day all this started. i call, and i ask more or less where the *F* is my car?? i am then told, by my husband to calm down, and how she's done work for his car before, it's fine. he's been telling me this for weeks, it's our only car, and my father gave it to me last year a few months before he died.

anyway. friday, i find out that the company who "stole" my car, are the ORIGINAL towers! this woman never towed my car!!! so, i call and in our small town, the sheriff's office was willing to track it down! now, this woman knows i'm aware of the issue, refuses my calls, i can't find an address for her, and my husband says she's not at her old place anymore. i call the other tow shop, and i'm told it will take 1400 to get it, PLUS now my stupid tags are out! the sheriff said based on my story, they were able to report it stolen for me. BUT, apparently, the tow company for BK was in their legal right. and they ARE. i'm not disputing that! my car was not in the lot when a friend checked for me 2 days later. and that woman said she towed it.

do i have any legal recourse against this woman? i have no email communication, but i do have voicemails from her, and her "alleged" business information, sans physical address.

yes, i rambled. but i wanted to be as clear as possible. no, i was never able to check on my car. my husband and inlaws apparently know her, so i was doing what they said, and relying on my husbands word, that he knew all the details!:eek:

OHRoadwarrior

Sounds like you need to sue the woman. her shop, BK and the towing company. Let the judge sort out the games. You need to get your car back asap to avoid further charges. Sue for all charges above what the original tow and repair was supposed to cost.

suthrnsweetie

thank you for replying.

i wasn't even sure if BK could be responsible. they have signs posted, but the woman said i could leave it there. 1 thing i DID leave out, is that BK told me also, that my shop towed it. come to find out, BK had it towed, and knew all along where the car was. whether the manager lied to me about leaving it there would be ok, or not, i feel they are in the right.

or at this point, i guess i wouldn't mind just going all country on them, and letting a judge do his deeds:p

again, thank you. i'll attempt to update as i am able~

OHRoadwarrior

This is where it gets screwy then. Why would BK request it be towed to your mechanic? It sounds like they received 2 tow requests. Honored the one by your mechanic, then went back to honor BK's. In your situation, I would name the BK manager specifically, that gave authority to leave the car. Though I think BK is not liable, nor is their manager, I would let the judge decide the issue. You will need the manager to clarify their side.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">