• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

transfer of Funds before Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

yes mortgage was paid using my income only I used that gift money as down payment

no, I live the house and she does not

and there is mortgage on the house and no equity. Even if I sell the house now. It would be a loss to me as market value of my house is down
You paid a $100,000 down payment 2 1/2 to 3 years ago and have refinanced twice in that period of time? The housing market has improved considerably over the last 2 1/2 years yet you claim that the house has no equity? How can you explain that the market value of YOUR house declined when the rest of the country has seen surging housing prices in that same time period?

Why in the heck did you refinance twice in that short period of time? Interest rates did not change enough to warrant that. Plus, if you refinanced to take out equity and spent it on something else, then depending on what you spent it on, there are other potential problems.

These are questions that a judge will ask. She isn't going to get 50% of the value of your house. She will get 50% of the equity that accrued during the marriage. If you are telling the truth and there is no equity AND you didn't take out any cash during your refi's then she won't get any share of your house. However, I don't believe you that there is no equity.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You paid a $100,000 down payment 2 1/2 to 3 years ago and have refinanced twice in that period of time? The housing market has improved considerably over the last 2 1/2 years yet you claim that the house has no equity? How can you explain that the market value of YOUR house declined when the rest of the country has seen surging housing prices in that same time period?

Why in the heck did you refinance twice in that short period of time? Interest rates did not change enough to warrant that. Plus, if you refinanced to take out equity and spent it on something else, then depending on what you spent it on, there are other potential problems.

These are questions that a judge will ask. She isn't going to get 50% of the value of your house. She will get 50% of the equity that accrued during the marriage. If you are telling the truth and there is no equity AND you didn't take out any cash during your refi's then she won't get any share of your house. However, I don't believe you that there is no equity.
I think we're being trolled.

I started suspecting this when you first posted this - you put into words some of what I'd been thinking. My conclusion: either he's an idiot or a troll.

Then today I saw this new thread by OP: https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/can-my-us-citizens-parent-sponsor-me.661571/

What the ---- ?

I think we're being trolled.

I started suspecting this when you first posted this - you put into words some of what I'd been thinking. My conclusion: either he's an idiot or a troll.

Then today I saw this new thread by OP: https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/can-my-us-citizens-parent-sponsor-me.661571/

What the ---- ?
It is possible that OP was hoping his wife would sponsor him, and that has not happened. He is facing divorce and deportation, so he is looking for ways to stay in the country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">