• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

transfer of vehicles owned by deceased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rf55

Is there a limit for this form for transferring vehicles of a deceased individual in on the North Carolina MVR 317 Affidavit of Authority to Assign Title form it is listed as $5,000 total for all vehicles but some others reference a $15,000 limit. Since one form is used for each vehicle does this mean each vehicle cannot exceed the limit of $5,000? Since there was no will or probate. The vehicle's are the only asset's left.

If the total amount of the vehicles is around $10,000 would I need to use a Small Estate form. If a Small Estate form is used would I also have to fill out the MVR 317 form to indicate the other heirs release their interest in the vehicles to me. As I wish to transfer the titles in my name. Any assistance would be appreciated.

FlyingRon

It's the sum of all the vehicles owned by the deceased. It matters not how many there are. The MVR317 is a DMV shortcut for estates that they've determined its not worth enforcing the normal rules. If the deceased owns more than $15,000 worth of cars, you'll have to probate the estate and have someone with authority (someone with letters of testementary/administration, etc...) transfer the title that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">