• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Troubles at Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bellasmom

What is the name of your state? PA
I work with a woman who is really giving me a hard time. We are both on the same level; neither of us has authority over the other. I have more authority over others in the building, and therefore am held to higher behavioral standards than she is. She mocks me for hours on end, I really don't see how she can be getting any work done. Recently a woman was on the news for killing her three children and herself, and this co-worker likened me to this murderer, saying that people like us should just put a gun to our own heads and pull the trigger, not kill other people. She said this to another co-worker while I was in earshot. I am human, I can only take so much provocation before I blow up, ya' know?! As a mother, for her to say that about me was absolutely appalling. Many well meaning fellow employees have let me know about the things that she has been saying about me, mostly just insults about my personal appearance and professional ability, but also matters that I feel may affect my integrity, such as calling off when I'm not sick, regularly leaving early, stealing from the office, that sort of thing. She even told people that I am siphoning money from our charity fund to give to my own church instead of the office's chosen charities. None of these things are true. Although I know that nothing can really be done about her at work, it makes me angry to know that if this was me doing this, I would be called on the carpet in a heartbeat. I would love to be able to reciprocate some nastiness! I would really like for her to shut the heck up, because it's extremely stressful to have to work around this person every day; I just want her to knock it off. I have detailed, dated notes on what she has said. I want to know if this sort of thing is slander, and what I can do about it. Up to this point (this has been going on for six months), I have just maintained my composure and hoped that my actions would speak louder than her words. What do you think?

K

krispenstpeter

Hstatements could be considered Slanderous and actionable. HOWEVER, although you have witnesses, will they testify and has these sayings caused you loss? That is the question that will have to be answered.

Another issue is what kind of judgement would you expect if the woman has nothing? Simply put, this should be a matter of management and if your management doesn't want to pursue it, then you have to weigh the options yourself.

Even if it's only a Cease and Desist letter from an attorney it may put her on notice that this type of behavior is not tolerated and could lead to civil penalties.

Last edited:

bellasmom

Cease and Desist

That's exactly what I want. I want her to leave me alone. I want to be able to get up and feel good about going to work again, and come home without feeling awful. I like my job, I just don't like her behavior. To be honest, the heckling probably gets to me the most, it's just infuriating to the point where I'm trembling in anger. Imagine trembling angrily for 40+ hours a week... not fun. I'd like to knock her out (way to much adrenaline pumping!).
I don't know that I would really want it to come to people having to testify, and I'm not sure that they would. So I can threaten her with a lawsuit if she doesn't knock it off? I think that would make her stop.
Also, she's financially established, she's probably around 40. It's strange how in every other way she appears to be average (husband, child, house in the burbs, vacations, hobbies). I don't want money, not at all, I just want her to shut the heck up.
Thank you for your suggestion Krispen.

Last edited:
K

krispenstpeter

I prefer Bennie and the Bent Noses :D

They will bring their old friend "Louisville Louie" nicknamed "SLUGGER" :D

bellasmom

Just wanted to update this thread. I waited for an opportune moment (we were both alone with little chance of interruption) to confront this woman. I asked her what her problem was with me. She responded with "I thought we've been getting along pretty well". So I said I guess there isn't a problem than, extended my hand, told her that we don't need to be friends, I just want to work together. I haven't heard a negative thing since. I mean, she's obviously just a bully, and some serious eye contact and lack of an audience made her crumble. I despise her, but let me tell you, I am so relieved to be released from that stress.
In closing, while I know she isn't "cured", and will turn around and do the same thing to another employee someday as she has before, at least I'm off of her radar. I've been reading some of the stories in the employment category, and she just seems like a huge liability.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bellasmom said:
Just wanted to update this thread. I waited for an opportune moment (we were both alone with little chance of interruption) to confront this woman. I asked her what her problem was with me. She responded with "I thought we've been getting along pretty well". So I said I guess there isn't a problem than, extended my hand, told her that we don't need to be friends, I just want to work together. I haven't heard a negative thing since. I mean, she's obviously just a bully, and some serious eye contact and lack of an audience made her crumble. I despise her, but let me tell you, I am so relieved to be released from that stress.
In closing, while I know she isn't "cured", and will turn around and do the same thing to another employee someday as she has before, at least I'm off of her radar. I've been reading some of the stories in the employment category, and she just seems like a huge liability.

My response:

I'm so glad that you came back thinking we would care.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">