• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to Adopt niece and nephews

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lil96

What is the name of your state? FL, but the children are in VA, and the birth mother is in WV
My sister(pill popper) is married to a schizophrenic (coke addicted) man who is now in jail. She had one daughter (now age 7) with another man before she married him. That man has had no contact with with the child since the birth and has given up his rights.
She has 2 boys with her husband (ages 4 &2).
While she was pregnant with the youngest, her husband had a schizo attack (my sister also said he was on cocaine at a later time). he slashed his throat and beat her and tried to cut the baby out. The other children saw this, the police came and took away the children. They took the baby away when he was 6 weeks old. All 3 children now stay with his parents.
i believe I could give these children a better life than they would have with his parents. They are constantly calling them names, like stupid, dummy..etc. They have also told me when they children have temper tantrums,they take them outside and hose them down and leave them out there until they dry. The house is a dump and doesn't have a floor, only subflooring. It is a 3 bedroom house; the 3 children live there, the 2 grandparents, an aunt, her boyfriend and their children.
I am sorry to drag on, but there is a lot to this story. It has been difficult to figure everything out because my sister has lied to us for the 1st year or so, telling us things such as they are at the babysitters. If I would have known how bad it was for these children I would have come sooner.
I would like to know what the chances are of adopting these children. The oldest daughter is not related to the "grandparents" I am, but i would like all 3 of them out of that situation.
Do I have to prove they are unfit caregiveers?
If I have my sisters permission, would that make it easier?
Is it possible to adopt children from a different state?
I am sorry this post is so long, but any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">