• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two Executrices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Battlespace

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

Want to really cause your children strife? Name two of them as co-executrices.

My wife and a sister are co-executrices for their dad. My wife was the POA for her parents for the last ten years of their life. We honored their wishes in keeping them in their own home as we could afford to make up what $$$ they fell short in. In doing so we would use their monthly income to pay bills and when that ran out we simply used our own. Now we are trying to finish settling the estate and sister-in-law is dragging her feet every step of the way. My father-in-law retired from civili service and the military so he had two retirement checks and social security. Social security and military retirement were stopped at the time of his death by the funeral home. Civil service continued for two months as we did not realize it would not stop automatically. We had to pay utiities for the house and some care giver wages after his death and my wife used some of the retirement to do so, knowing the estate would have to repay. She had told her sister's husband who is a law school graduate, but who is not practicing law, about it and he said it was fine. Today her sister hit the ceiling. We tried to ask her how she expected the utilities to be paid and she would simply not listen.

It looks like we will be finishing the property sales in the next 6 weeks or so and will get the estate settled a month or so later. I will be so glad when that happens, and have promised our kids we will leave very explicit instructions and not do to them what my in-laws did to their kids.

seniorjudge

Battlespace said:
What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My wife and a sister are co-executrices for their dad. My wife was the POA for her parents for the last ten years of their life. We honored their wishes in keeping them in their own home as we could afford to make up what $$$ they fell short in. In doing so we would use their monthly income to pay bills and when that ran out we simply used our own. Now we are trying to finish settling the estate and sister-in-law is dragging her feet every step of the way. My father-in-law retired from civili service and the military so he had two retirement checks and social security. Social security and military retirement were stopped at the time of his death by the funeral home. Civil service continued for two months as we did not realize it would not stop automatically. We had to pay utiities for the house and some care giver wages after his death and my wife used some of the retirement to do so, knowing the estate would have to repay. She had told her sister's husband who is a law school graduate, but who is not practicing law, about it and he said it was fine. Today her sister hit the ceiling. We tried to ask her how she expected the utilities to be paid and she would simply not listen.

It looks like we will be finishing the property sales in the next 6 weeks or so and will get the estate settled a month or so later. I will be so glad when that happens, and have promised our kids we will leave very explicit instructions and not do to them what my in-laws did to their kids.

You are correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">