• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX: 2 kids, joint custody, shared CS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Scenario:
A couple getting divorced, non-contested with two children. One is 16 and the other will soon be 10. 16 year old girl goes with mother, ten year old boy goes with father. Neither parent wishes to receive any child support from the other. Is that feasible in Texas? Will a judge go for that?

If child support IS paid, with the above custodial agreement, one parent would only have to pay for two years, while the other would have to pay for eight. I am sure I am looking at this all wrong, but that does not seem fair. I welcome further knowledge to open my eyes as to why this is fair, as I am certain it probably is.

Also, if anyone knows of any informative websites where I may do my own research, I would be very grateful for the direction.

Thank you,
Kristi

nextwife

IMHO, there should be no CS in that scenario, at least until one child aged out..

If both parties were working to their capabilities, would they have comparable incomes?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Scenario:
A couple getting divorced, non-contested with two children. One is 16 and the other will soon be 10. 16 year old girl goes with mother, ten year old boy goes with father. Neither parent wishes to receive any child support from the other. Is that feasible in Texas? Will a judge go for that?

If child support IS paid, with the above custodial agreement, one parent would only have to pay for two years, while the other would have to pay for eight. I am sure I am looking at this all wrong, but that does not seem fair. I welcome further knowledge to open my eyes as to why this is fair, as I am certain it probably is.

Also, if anyone knows of any informative websites where I may do my own research, I would be very grateful for the direction.

Thank you,
Kristi
Even if no child support is ordered now, the parent with the younger child could file for child support once the older child becomes an adult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">