• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Un-paid cc accounts...what can happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenjclt

What is the name of your state? Lived in N. Carolina but moved to Indiana

Hello!

I need information on what can happen in my bad dept situation....
About a 1 1/2 to 2 years ago, I lost my job and was going thru a divorce. I had 2 kids and no money. At the time, I had 2 credit cards. I was unable to pay for them and stopped. The balances at the time were around $500.00 and $1100.00. I have moved since then to 3 different states. After the 1st move, I didn't do a change of address because I was not sure where we would end up. I get mail in Ohio (temp residence) and Indiana but I never get any mailings from collection agencys. Sometimes I get a call from possible collection agency's but I am still not working so I never answer. I have never talked to the cc company or any collection agency thus far.

My question is, what will happen to this debt and to me? Are they really going to send people after me with guns blazing for such semi-small debt (to them)????

Please don't send me messages of hate**************.....I am not proud of my sitaution at all.

surferboy

No hate here :)

Well they can file a judgement against you. If they do that they can try to garnish wages (but you don't have any) and they could try and auction off stuff in your house. I don't think that that is to common though. I could be wrong.

I have one judgement that was put against me in another state. I was never summoned or anything. I could probaby have it removed but it was my debt and they have not tried to go after anything so the way I see it.....it will be off of my credit report in 7 years. I am not proud of it either but I didn't have a choice.

I work for a credit reporting agency and I see credit all day everyday. But we only work on credit for mortgage companies. I still do not hear of the plaintiff going after anything other than putting a judgement.....But I am not a lawyer and I could be way off. Hope this helps

VeronicaLodge

they can not "file a judgment" against him. creditors dont file or issue judgments, judges do, in court. they can file a suit against him and when they win, they will have a judgment and then they can take steps to collect on that judgment.

xylene

they can not "file a judgment" against him. creditors dont file or issue judgments, judges do, in court. they can file a suit against him and when they win, they will have a judgment and then they can take steps to collect on that judgment.
Yes, and in fairness you should point out that this can occur without the debtor being present, (a default judgement) since the debtor is ignoring their mail.

Just because you have not been skip traced and gotten called yet, does not mean you can't be sued...

xylene

yes, sorry i wasnt clear, i was lumping that in with "sued and won" the won part can be by default :)
I was responding to the fact that the poster seems to be doing the old 'head in the sand" routine.

The fact that she is dodging her mail and having it delivered elsewhere (another state no less) doesn't change the creditors ability to sue, get and enforce a judgment.

That could have already happened even.

jenjclt

I was responding to the fact that the poster seems to be doing the old 'head in the sand" routine.

The fact that she is dodging her mail and having it delivered elsewhere (another state no less) doesn't change the creditors ability to sue, get and enforce a judgment.

That could have already happened even.
No need to be nasty....My head is not in the sand.

Thanks but NO thanks....I was never "dodging my mail"...as you put it. I was trying to give the important information about my situation....You have no idea what I have been going thru with my personal life (separation (with a pre-teen daughter involved), lack of a job and severe depression). My life has been in total limbo since my daughter is in Indiana which is NOT where I want to be and my life was in NC and all my family in in Ohio. I keep coming back to IN becase I love my daughter very much but don't want to be with my abusive, controlling, nasty husband (thank you very much).

Thanks to the people that tried to give me some valid information.
I was only trying to find out what might have happened with my situation and how I would know what had happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">