• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uncle's will and deceased Aunt's wishes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sailorgirl888

What is the name of your state? CT While my sister was walking through my deceased aunt's home, she saw a copy of our uncle's will. We never thought we would be named in his will, however he left 50% of his estate to my sister and myself. She acknowledged what she saw, to my father. This was an old will. Since last week, my father has taken my uncle to an atty (uncle is 96 yrs old) to rewrite the will. He's apparently changed the cash into a trust. We don't know who the beneficiaries are. If we end up with something less than the 50% we saw on the old will, do we have a right to contest? Also, my deceased aunt who left a will stated my father gets her home. She has quite a collection of expensive jewelry which she always told my sister and I, it would go to us upon her death. My father (the trustee) even acknowledged this. However, it was not put in her will, she told my father to take care of dispursing it. He has not, nor is going to in the near future do this, as my uncle has the jewels in a safe and he's not ready to give them up. My uncle also has stated he will be selling one piece of jewelry right away for the cash. When I reminded my father about how my aunt's wishes to give my sister and I her jewelry, he started screaming at me that I'm never satisfied! What should I do?
P.S. People are coming out of the woodwork telling my Uncle things that were promised to them. We want to protect what's rightfully ours, but seem to have no support from my father.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

sailorgirl888 said:
What is the name of your state? CT While my sister was walking through my deceased aunt's home, she saw a copy of our uncle's will. We never thought we would be named in his will, however he left 50% of his estate to my sister and myself. She acknowledged what she saw, to my father. This was an old will. Since last week, my father has taken my uncle to an atty (uncle is 96 yrs old) to rewrite the will. He's apparently changed the cash into a trust. We don't know who the beneficiaries are. If we end up with something less than the 50% we saw on the old will, do we have a right to contest? Also, my deceased aunt who left a will stated my father gets her home. She has quite a collection of expensive jewelry which she always told my sister and I, it would go to us upon her death. My father (the trustee) even acknowledged this. However, it was not put in her will, she told my father to take care of dispursing it. He has not, nor is going to in the near future do this, as my uncle has the jewels in a safe and he's not ready to give them up. My uncle also has stated he will be selling one piece of jewelry right away for the cash. When I reminded my father about how my aunt's wishes to give my sister and I her jewelry, he started screaming at me that I'm never satisfied! What should I do?
P.S. People are coming out of the woodwork telling my Uncle things that were promised to them. We want to protect what's rightfully ours, but seem to have no support from my father.
Your issues are far too complex to answer in an internet forum. First you will need to have an attorney look at the situation of your father taking gramps to an attorney and having the will converted to trust and this will require a finding of incompetence on the part of gramps.

Was the father named as his conservator or was there some form of legal findings to transfer the assets into the trust. was your grandfather competent to make these decisions? What does the trust stipulate?

See the initial questions that need to be answered?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">