• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

under the influence at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I have a question: I have a co-worker who is 20 weeks pregnant. She is on Lortab, neurontin, Ambien just to name a few. She is working 12 hour shifts in the ER while on these drugs and when I spoke to my supervisor about the fact that she takes these during the shift and has fallen asleep on duty, she told me that they are prescribed and so there is nothing she can do about it. Is it legal for her to be doing patient care while under the influence of these medications? I spoke to HR about it and It was infered by them that I obviuosly have something against this girl and I should leave her alone. I am afraid she is going to hurt someone.

xylene

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I have a question: I have a co-worker who is 20 weeks pregnant. She is on Lortab, neurontin, Ambien just to name a few. She is working 12 hour shifts in the ER while on these drugs and when I spoke to my supervisor about the fact that she takes these during the shift and has fallen asleep on duty, she told me that they are prescribed and so there is nothing she can do about it. Is it legal for her to be doing patient care while under the influence of these medications? I spoke to HR about it and It was infered by them that I obviuosly have something against this girl and I should leave her alone. I am afraid she is going to hurt someone.
How do you know what she takes?

Why would she take Ambien at work?

justalayman

I wonder why she is on the drugs while being pregnant. Each of them come with warnings about use when pregnant although not a restriction.

I spoke to my supervisor about the fact that she takes these during the shift and has fallen asleep on duty, she told me that they are prescribed and so there is nothing she can do about it
she lied.

anytime a supervisor deems a practioner to be a danger to their patients, it is not only within their power but actually within their legal duty to remove that person lest they join the subordinate in any liability should there be an injury caused by the subordinate.

I would have to guess the supervisor does not see the subordinate as a potential liability.

lealea1005

Have any of the other staff members/Physicians in the ER complained about her ability to perform her duties?

Have you followed up your conversations with HR and the nursing supervisor or ADN with a letter, so it's documented?

Justalayman is right. It's the ADN's responsibility to remove/discipline/report the impaired nurse.

ok, to answer all the questions:
xylene: she tells everyone what she is on and goes on and on about her neuropathy and is seen ingesting them at the nurses station while on duty. She takes the Ambien a few hours before her shift ends so that she can sleep when she gets home " so she says"

Justalayman: she is on the drugs while pregnant because she couldn't get off of them, I guess after all these years she is addicted. It is not that she is not seen as a liability, everyone feels sorry for her (long story)

lealea1005: everyone is complaining about her falling asleep on duty. She was found not that long ago on a stretcher in an empty room asleep and set her alarm on her cell phone to get up before 1st shift arrived. I have not followed up with a letter as up to date, I have not been well received. I guess I will go against the hospital if and when she hurts someone to testify they knew she was on meds.

xylene

Being a sympathy hog does not mean she is impaired.

Barring a substantiated issue, the department is going to be reluctant to stick their neck out.

Why don't you put this in writing, in that form they can't just dismiss it as a gripe.

Beth3

She is on Lortab, neurontin, Ambien just to name a few. She is working 12 hour shifts in the ER while on these drugs and when I spoke to my supervisor about the fact that she takes these during the shift and has fallen asleep on duty, she told me that they are prescribed and so there is nothing she can do about it. That's patently untrue. If an individual is impaired on the job, the employer certainly can and should do something about it. Doesn't matter if the drugs are prescribed.

I don't know why your employer is failing to address the situation but that's their decision to make. Sounds like you've done what you can. If this co-worker is a nurse, you can jump heads and contact the DON and/or the senior hospital administrator about your concerns for patient safety and her sleeping on the job.

xylene

She is on Lortab, neurontin, Ambien just to name a few. She is working 12 hour shifts in the ER while on these drugs and when I spoke to my supervisor about the fact that she takes these during the shift and has fallen asleep on duty, she told me that they are prescribed and so there is nothing she can do about it. That's patently untrue. If an individual is impaired on the job, the employer certainly can and should do something about it. Doesn't matter if the drugs are prescribed.
Treatment with pharmaceutical drugs, even strong ones, does not mean the employee is impaired.

The 'evidence' boils down to gossip about what 3rd parties are alleged to have seen.

The reality is, still putting third party claims at face value is that she is under a doctor's care and has the approval of the hospital.

I don't know why your employer is failing to address the situation but that's their decision to make. Sounds like you've done what you can. If this co-worker is a nurse, you can jump heads and contact the DON and/or the senior hospital administrator about your concerns for patient safety and her sleeping on the job.
Of course this proactive course is wise. VERY wise.

justalayman

Treatment with pharmaceutical drugs, even strong ones, does not mean the employee is impaired.
True, but there are also a LOT of prescription junkies out there as well.

longsally posted:

Justalayman: she is on the drugs while pregnant because she couldn't get off of them, I guess after all these years she is addicted. It is not that she is not seen as a liability, everyone feels sorry for her (long story)
Then it is in their hands. If they believe she is not a liability, then your actions will be seen as meddling. I would keep track of when and who you notified should any action ever be taken just so you can protect yourself.

xylene

True, but there are also a LOT of prescription junkies out there as well.
The hospital is not going to escalate ER nurse gripes into an employee lawsuit.

I happen to think the admin has a finger on this situation and is taking action to which LS is not privvy, despite seeming to be privvy to exactly EVERY medical detail.

Taking FDA cat C prescriptions while pregnant under the direction of a doctor proves nothing, except reinforces my perception of this as a "pile on" of the employee who talks to much about their 'pains'.

Never seen that happen.

Beth3

I agree that it's entirely possible that hospital administration is already in the know about the situation and has acted accordingly, even if the OP and her co-workers are unaware of what steps management has taken (such as reviewing her meds and detemining whether there is a bonafide impairment problem.) That would be confidential and not something management would or should discuss with others. The hospital's liability for suspecting or knowing that they had an impaired employee working in the ER could be staggering so it's difficult to imagine they're just turning a blind eye.

Maybe this employee isn't performing up to snuf (e.g. the sleeping on the job) and management has valid reasons of their own for not overtly taking action at present.

justalayman

The hospital is not going to escalate ER nurse gripes into an employee lawsuit.

I happen to think the admin has a finger on this situation and is taking action to which LS is not privvy, despite seeming to be privvy to exactly EVERY medical detail.

Taking FDA cat C prescriptions while pregnant under the direction of a doctor proves nothing, except reinforces my perception of this as a "pile on" of the employee who talks to much about their 'pains'.

Never seen that happen.
Don't jump too hard there X. You did read the rest of the post, didn't you?

I simply suggested a CYA action and leave it at that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">