• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thecody

I actually had few rules for my kids. But yeah, if they insisted on getting into trouble and felt entitled to hangout drinking vodka after their activity? The activity would be put on hold.
These things were not related.

Maybe because the people you seem to hang out with lead you to make poor decisions and attract the attention of law enforcement?
Some of the people, sometimes, yeah.

When it's a bunch of minors acting drunk, and have an empty bottle of vodka in their midst.
I hadn't even had anything to drink. None of us were drunk.

So what's the actual charge on the summons (law and section)?
65-c

You're still in "blame everyone else but me" mode, and that's fine. It happens. But at some point you're going to have to own your mistakes and start behaving like a responsible adult.
When did I blame someone else? (real question)

I'm not trying to have an attitude.

Yet, it did not deter you.
well I didn't exactly know before...

A foster parent that lets their foster child run the roost is no better than the parent that lost custody to begin with.
My parents and grandma only "lost custody" of me because they died. That's sort of different. There was nothing wrong with them.
and I'm so not in charge. lol.

What would be the point of taking away hockey? It' s good to be involved in sport.

Concealing alcohol in water bottles and drinking it, and then complaining that the cops might have illegally searched your stash (i.e. he was smart enough to bust you) THAT is a conscious choice!
Asking a question is not the same thing as complaining. And I didn't do any concealing and I didn't drink it (ok yeah I guess in the end I probably would have had some). Look man, I know that I should have chosen to leave them again.
It's not like I go out drinking all the time.

No, SCHOOL isn't the problem; following the rules - and the law - is the problem. YOUR problem.
I think you missed the sarcasm.

quincy

... What would be the point of taking away hockey? It' s good to be involved in sport. ...

... I think you missed the sarcasm.
I agree with you that it is good to be involved in a sport. It is what you do AFTER participating in the sport that you really need to seriously work on. You are dangerously close to messing up your future.

I caught the sarcasm about school, as a note, and was amused. ;)

Here is a link to some information that you might find interesting, thecody: http://www.nyclu.org/node/3249

CdwJava

well I didn't exactly know before...
Come now ... you did NOT know that drinking alcohol as a minor was against the law, could get you in trouble at home and school, and was generally a very bad idea??!?! Really?! :rolleyes:

My parents and grandma only "lost custody" of me because they died.
That's horrible, but it still doesn't excuse what you did.

and I'm so not in charge. lol.
When one of my boys was caught drinking the first time, he spent the next three months on close supervision. When another son got caught twice in a week, he got 6 months of purgatory with partial loss of phone and car at the start. If your guardians were hitting you hard, you might not have access to even be typing this out!

What would be the point of taking away hockey? It' s good to be involved in sport.
I would tend to agree with that. Though if you were my kid, even practice would be attended by a grown up and you'd get a ride home with a responsible grown-up - no time to kick it with the homies.

Asking a question is not the same thing as complaining. And I didn't do any concealing and I didn't drink it (ok yeah I guess in the end I probably would have had some). Look man, I know that I should have chosen to leave them again.
It's not like I go out drinking all the time.
Once is all it takes. And you CHOSE to hang with them, you KNEW what they were up to, and you were in legal possession of open containers of alcohol. This was NOT an accident or a mistake, it was a choice.

I think you missed the sarcasm.
Probably ... when you seem to try and deny your own culpability it is not a stretch to assume you might seriously think that school, parents, the police, or even the world is at fault.

thecody

I agree with you that it is good to be involved in a sport. It is what you do AFTER participating in the sport that you really need to seriously work on. You are dangerously close to messing up your future.
Yeah. I will/do work on it.

I caught the sarcasm about school, as a note, and was amused. ;)
lol. thanks for the link.

That's horrible, but it still doesn't excuse what you did.
ohmagod. i didn't say that for it to be an "excuse". I said it because you come here saying you're a foster parent and a cop and then you act like every kid in foster care is there because their parents did something wrong and "lost custody" of them...
no they're not.

Come now ... you did NOT know that drinking alcohol as a minor was against the law, could get you in trouble at home and school, and was generally a very bad idea??!?! Really?! :rolleyes:
"exactly" was the key word.

When one of my boys was caught drinking the first time, he spent the next three months on close supervision. When another son got caught twice in a week, he got 6 months of purgatory with partial loss of phone and car at the start. If your guardians were hitting you hard, you might not have access to even be typing this out!
Well I'm grounded for ages and lost a bunch of stuff so you don't gotta worry about my fosters.
My fosters are good people.

I would tend to agree with that. Though if you were my kid, even practice would be attended by a grown up and you'd get a ride home with a responsible grown-up - no time to kick it with the homies.
Usually they do, and we don't say "homies". Or "kick it".

Once is all it takes. And you CHOSE to hang with them, you KNEW what they were up to, and you were in legal possession of open containers of alcohol. This was NOT an accident or a mistake, it was a choice.
I didn't know what they were doing until I got there. And then there wasn't much time before the cops showed up. This was not like a full blown choice of "I'm getting drunk".

Probably ... when you seem to try and deny your own culpability it is not a stretch to assume you might seriously think that school, parents, the police, or even the world is at fault.
what have I said that is me trying to "deny your own culpability" (for my own actions, not for my friends actions who already had the vodka in the bottles by the time I showed up)?

thecody

Yeah I gotta fine and gotta do a alcohol awareness class. They cost money too tho.
OK, I'm adding this to my no-more-doing list. Nah, everything's on the list. Fosters made me go see this other court where they just throw kids away like they don't even care, for years. Not me.

oh yeah, adoption papers gettin started, guess they don't know how bad i really am, right?

:D

quincy

Yeah I gotta fine and gotta do a alcohol awareness class. They cost money too tho.
OK, I'm adding this to my no-more-doing list. Nah, everything's on the list. Fosters made me go see this other court where they just throw kids away like they don't even care, for years. Not me.

oh yeah, adoption papers gettin started, guess they don't know how bad i really am, right?

The adoption news is great, thecody! I am very happy for you and your parents-to-be. :)

Ladyback1

You are very lucky to have gotten good foster parents, who you like and who obviously care very much for and about you.

Please remember they CHOSE you, thus they see what great potential you must have! :)

I'mTheFather

Woo Hoo!!! Best thread-ending yet!

I'm pretty sure you won't have to come back for legal advice, but I hope you'll be back to be a voice of reason for others when we forget that teens don't always have the mental maturity of adults. I'd say you're qualified to do that since you've shown a lot of maturity by not becoming abusive when your own actions have been questioned.

thecody

The adoption news is great, thecody! I am very happy for you and your parents-to-be. :)
Thanks Quincy.

You are very lucky to have gotten good foster parents, who you like and who obviously care very much for and about you.
finally.

Please remember they CHOSE you, thus they see what great potential you must have! :)
thanks. i can tell my brothers - they CHOSE me, they HAD to keep you. lol

Woo Hoo!!! Best thread-ending yet!

I'm pretty sure you won't have to come back for legal advice, but I hope you'll be back to be a voice of reason for others when we forget that teens don't always have the mental maturity of adults. I'd say you're qualified to do that since you've shown a lot of maturity by not becoming abusive when your own actions have been questioned.
:)

Proserpina

Cody...if I was physically able, I'd be doing a huge cheer-lead routine complete with pom-poms!

GO CODY!

You can do this. :)

Silverplum

Cody, I join the cheers of JOY for you!! :):):):):)

Go forth and prosper, and please remember to pay it forward to some scruffy kid you meet in your future. ;) You will have so much to give. :)

God bless you and your new family, and peace for you after your losses. :)

commentator

Great, cody, we are happy for you. Don't let these folks down.

A word to the wise, when you finish your alcohol awareness class, you will receive a diploma. Keep up with this paperwork, you'll need it later. If you lose it, you'll have to pay to get another one. As you said, everything costs money.

thecody

A word to the wise, when you finish your alcohol awareness class, you will receive a diploma. Keep up with this paperwork, you'll need it later. If you lose it, you'll have to pay to get another one. As you said, everything costs money.
what do i need it for? Just to prove i did it?

Go forth and prosper, and please remember to pay it forward to some scruffy kid you meet in your future. ;) You will have so much to give. :)
Ha. if some day i can adopt some kid i will

God bless you and your new family, and peace for you after your losses. :)
yeah. thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">