• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment challenge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commentator

Okay, okay okay! Gotcha! It would be so easy if I could just look it up! But anyhow, when you call tomorrow, this is what you need to make them aware of.

You signed up for unemployment. You were approved by initial decision. You probably had a waiting week, the first week you certified for you aren't paid for. But then you made a second week's certification. This is likely the check you received. Then you worked a week, and you didn't certify, or you did certify and show that you worked and that you made more in gross income from the week's work than your weekly unemployment benefit would have been.

THIS STOPPED YOUR CLAIM.

Until your claim is re-opened, which is what you would have needed to do the following week, or the week after that, you are not going to receive any more checks. Until that "break in the claim" is dealt with.

Now, about this week you worked, did you take a temporary job, knowing it was only for one week, and they didn't have any more work for you at the end of that week? If so, it won't be any problem once that is established, and your re-open will shoot on through.

Or did you take a job, not like it, not find it acceptable and quit after one week, or they told you that you were fired after one week? If this is the case, that issue will have to be dealt with before you can get any more money, even though the issue with your former long term employer is taken care of now and you are approved to draw from them.

But each time there is a break in the weeks of the claim, either because you didn't file for the week (skipped a week) or because you filed and reported earnings that were enough to stop your claim, the claim has to be actually formallly re-opened. This is the source of your difficulties with getting paid again.
(I know, I know, how in the heck were you supposed to know that?!)

I'm surprised that the unemployment system in your state is actually taking the weekly certifications you've made since the break week. Usually it won't. Make sure it has been taking them, ask the person you speak to tomorrow if your weekly certifications for these weeks are on file to be paid. They should be able to look and see if they are. If not, demand to get them on file. Stress that you have been making the certifications and were under the impression they were being accepted. Did you stay on the phone long enough for the system to say, "Your certification has been accepted"?

But I can sure see where you've had problems, since most of the claims offices on the phone now in states like Florida are filled with inexperienced and inefficient workers. The recent economic crisis ran off a lot of older more experienced workers, and a lot of the new ones aren't really trained well.

You'll need to talk to someone and spell this whole situation out with them, then get them to re-open the claim. It's not a bad idea to write down exactly what they tell you. But it is also very important that you call their attention to this situation of there being a break in your claim. Make sure the weeks that you have certified for since then are on file for you to be paid for.
This should eventually get the problem solved, and if they don't deny you based on that one week's work, you'll be able to catch up. Hope this helps, keep me posted on how it goes.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">