• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Compensation Complications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pinz2022

What is the name of your state?Virginia

I recently ended a seasonal job at a local department store. I last week applied for unemployment insurance benefits through the Alexandria office of the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC). I just received notification that I must submit to a telephone interrogation (12 Jan, 10:00 am) concerning my eligibility, specifically regarding: "whether or not you were discharged or suspended for misconduct." I called the local office and informed them that this was a seasonal job, meant to end on a pre-arranged day, but, because my last application for benefits was denied due to discharge with cause, my current claim must be investigated as a matter of routine.

I was informed that I have the right to legal representation, witnesses, and any pertinent documentation I can provide (which must be mailed in ASAP). Is there any expert help or advice you can give me to bolster my case? Should I get some sort of affidavit from the dept. store as to my good conduct.

:confused: :(

Beth3

You're overreacting. As the UC office informed you, this is just a matter of routine. No, you don't need legal representation and no, you don't need any affadavits. The UC office will have already contacted your most recent employer (or they will shortly) and ascertained that this was a seasonal job and you left in good standing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">