• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment due to a sociopath. Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Graphic Artist

I do know that employers actually can "legally" exploit employees, but I'm establishing that they made it impossible for me to do my job in multiple ways.

Last edited:

Hot Topic

Sure he did.

I suspect that any second he's going to take a run at a windmill while singing, "The Impossible Dream."

Graphic Artist

I never saw Don Quixote but maybe that's me. I am very idealistic.

You guys did give me some useful information. Thanks for your help.

Even if I don't get it I definitely made the right decision by quitting.

I'll try to update with the result.

Last edited:

commentator

Forget the "multiple ways", okay? Every new incident you throw in, every good example of ways you were put down, messed around, not allowed to do well is just muddying up the water. It's what we call the "scattergun" or "kitchen sink" case. The ajudicator will be listening, trying to pick up on one big overwhelming event, issue, situation, REASON why you had to quit your job. The more multiples of this and this and this and this, the little endless ways that he was a bad boss and he said this and you said that and he said this and you said that you deluge them with, the weaker your case becomes. That you ran out of time yesterday may be a big indicator there's already been TMI thrown out here.

When you go at this tomorrow, continuing your hearing, pick out this last incident, where there was a scene. Make much of it. Forget all these other times he's been awful to you, the accumulation of terrible years. Explain that you tried very hard to establish that you were doing what you were supposed to do, obtain feedback, do a good job.

Everything you are telling us here shows that you were sincerely trying to do a good job, but you went far far beyond your scope of responsibility and control to try to "out-dominate" or fight back against the person who had all the power. And he did, he had all the power. It is his company, his business, not yours and he does NOT have to run it the right way in your eyes. He does definitely have the right to jump on the other people in your supervisory group. He does indeed have the right to yell at you because of something that is really his fault. Standing up to bullies when they happen to be writing your paycheck isn't really the way to win anything. Good that you finally gave up on it and stopped butting your head against the wall.

None of your demands (including the demand for another meeting) were reasonable or were anything he would legally have to accede to. You were way out on a limb where you could legitimately have been fired for insubordination, though you'd have had a far better chance of being approved for unemployment if you'd been fired. Yes, he can tell you what to do. In his words, it isn't a democracy. Do not keep talking about these circumstances, because the appeals officer knows better and will immediately discount this line of argument that you had to stand up to the bully.

As for prepared and canned statements such as the detailed statement in your last post, please don't read that to the hearing judge. For one thing, it is a "hearing" not a reading. They do not want to hear your fine sounding phrases, they want you to, very simply, in a concise manner, give them a logical, simple spoken reason why you had a good job related reason to quit.
Listen carefully and try to answer the questions that the appeals official may ask you. Be professional, formal, not overly dramatic. Let us know how this works out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">