• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment PUA determination state says was overpaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He was paid on January 23, 2020. The paycheck date is important.
It's not a "paycheck" - it's payment for independent contractor services performed in 2019. The question from the state was "Have you worked and earned wages in employment, self-employment, or as a farm worker between January 1, 2020, and March 15, 2020?" He did not work and earn wages in 2020.

EDIT: Further clarification. The OP worked in 2019, but was paid for that work in 2020. The money was earned in 2019. The OP then worked in 2020, but did not earn wages from that work.

PayrollHRGuy

It's not a "paycheck" - it's payment for independent contractor services performed in 2019. The question from the state was "Have you worked and earned wages in employment, self-employment, or as a farm worker between January 1, 2020, and March 15, 2020?" He did not work and earn wages in 2020.

EDIT: Further clarification. The OP worked in 2019, but was paid for that work in 2020. The money was earned in 2019. The OP then worked in 2020, but did not earn wages from that work.
Correct and he, as far as he can prove, did no work January - March in 2020.

The OP worked in 2019, but was paid for that work in 2020. The money was earned in 2019. The OP then worked in 2020, but did not earn wages from that work.
Okay I think I understand what you are saying.

From what I understand this line of questioning in the message with that particular verbiage was designed to substantiate employment.

Since I didn't provide any documents in the two day timeframe I missed, they are basically arguing it's misrepresentation because if I wasn't working in 2020 anyways then how can I claim unemployment after march?

The issue is that I was literally working on a play in march and planning on two more with the theater director and her assistant.

If I provide an amended 2020 return and it fails and I appeal, wouldn't signed affidavits of witnesses saying I was there working as I had done for YEARS be proof that covid disrupted things and thus why I had no employment ongoing?

The school literally shut down for that semester. I literally had no work because of covid.

quincy

Understood. :)

quincy

Would signed affidavits not be proof? What about retroactive letters of separation showing the theater staff no longer needed my services due to covid?
Anything could help. But it seems unlikely that affidavits will help. Better might be the retroactive letter of separation.

Although I know you know this now, it was a big mistake for you not to bill for the work you did in March.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">