• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unethical Police Officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davew128

Which of course all the speculation could have been avoided IF THE OP HAD STATED IT WAS A 529 PLAN IN THE FIRST PLACE. :mad:

aceoftrades

@davew128 - The OP didn't know it was a 529 in the first place.

Thanks everyone for the posts...Unfortunately it sounds like my daughter doesn't have much recourse... Strike one up for the bad guys.

aceoftrades

I guess carma caught up with him.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/crime/da-suspended-hatboro-officer-under-investigation/article_c01b6da4-4f27-11e0-9a34-0017a4a78c22.html

Link not working so here is the story:

Hatboro Police Det. Sgt. John Becker indefinitely and without pay.

Borough Manager Tommy Ryan said Tuesday that the suspension was the result of an "ongoing criminal investigation."

Police Chief James Gardner said the Montgomery Count District Attorney's office was leading the investigation and said he could not comment further.

First Assistant District Attorney Kevin R. Steele said on Wednesday that he could not comment on the investigation or say when it would conclude.

Becker has been with the Hatboro Police Department for 17 years, Gardner said.

Council President Marianne Reymer said the council opted to uphold Mayor Norm Hawkes' decision as reflected in his March 2 memo. Reymer said she could not disclose any further information because "it is a legal and personnel matter."

According to recent news reports, Becker led the Hatboro half of the investigation into a string of Valentine's Day robberies in Hatboro and Upper Moreland which ultimately led to an arrest.

Published meeting minutes from Hatboro, as well as Upper Dublin, show that Becker was recognized for his police work. During its Oct. 12, 2000 meeting, the Upper Dublin Commissioners acknowledged Becker with a commendation of merit. At Hatboro's March 24, 2008 meeting, Gardner congratulated Becker for an award he had received from the American Society of Industrial Security for the investigation and arrest of a suspect involved in a sexual assault case.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth3

I'm not sure if this is the correct category but here goes. I have an 18 year old daughter from a previous marriage. She has lived with me for the last 2 years. When she was young her grandparents (mothers parents) gave her $3000 for college. Her mother and step father (now going through a divorce) put the money into a college fund for her with his (step father) ssn on the account as well as he took care of all finances and investments. She in now in college and attempted to access the funds only to find out that her step father emptied the account 2 months before her 18th birthday taking major penalties with the withdrawal since it was not used for further education. Her mother and step father had been separated for approximately 3 years when the account was emptied. To top it off he is a police detective, is of the mind set that he is untouchable, and should have known how unethical this was. Not sure what recourse my daughter has if any. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
So file for a protective order ... he cannot own a gun or have one ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">