• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair Negative Mark on my Credit Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmorris

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Kentucky
I always pay all of my bills on time. I am a full time college students (senior) and a single mother. I recently checked my credit report because there was a threat of identify theft. There is only one negative mark by a collection agency. I never once received a bill from them or phone call. I called to see what this was about. It was when I went to a ER in 2002. I am on Medicaid (college student and single mother) and had Medicaid at that time. They gave me the number of the original creditor, the ER doctor's office. I called them and they did not have a record of my Medicaid number. They said the ER doctor and the hospital bill differently, so I should see if I owe the hospital money. I called the hospital and they had the number and Medicaid had paid them. Obviously I showed my card and did what I was supposed to do. I explained to the ER doctor's office and collection agency this and they had my ex-mother-in-law's address (I used to live there). I am on VERY good terms with my ex-mother-in-law, and she told me she NEVER received any bills or calls. The collection agency told me that if I paid the bill (only $100) they would take the mark OFF (not paid--OFF) my credit report. I paid it. Now they do not want to take it off. I will graduate in less than a year and my credit is VERY important to me. What options do I have? This is not my fault. I did what I was supposed to do at the hospital. When I moved, I did not think I needed to inform the hospital or ER doctor of my new address since Medicaid should have paid the bill. I have letters from Medicaid and the hospital. The doctor's office is also sending me a letter-they are trying to help me. The collection agency just won't. This is the ONLY bad thing on my credit report. I don't care about the $100; I just want my credit fixed. Thank you for any advice or suggestions!!!

Ladynred

Never believe anything a collection agency says to you over the phone. 9 times out of 10 if their mouths are moving, they're lying. They told you what they had to to get you to pay up. Remember this, especially in dealing with collectors - if its not in writing, it never happened !

LA gave you a good URL - head to creditboards.com for methods to dispute the entry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">