• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unfair pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ndyia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I recently accepted a new position at my company. The person that previously held the job was a white male with only a high school diploma that didn't perform well in the job at all. I tried to negotiated for a higher salary because I knew what he made in the position. He didn't get fired for his performance he accepted a position elsewhere and that's why he left. I am a black female with a degree and will complete my master's in May. Ihave bee with he company consistently for 12 years with many promotions. He has left the company twice and returned. I am beig paid abou $7000 less and the response I was given was they didn't have the money and the chief of staff wasn't approving anything higher.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Which is a perfectly valid, non-discriminatory reason. What evidence do you have that the reason you were given is not true?

ndyia

Other employees that were hired close to the same time as me got a higher salary percentage for promotions than me. Also, since then another employee was given a significant retention raise. I had a bonafide offer from another job and they wouldn't offer me a rention raise to stay but required me to provide an offer letter. The final decision maker also told me she makes decisions based on what she thinks others will say and that's why I got such a low promotion percentage.

justalayman

those with the weakest negotiating skills will be paid the least often times regardless of true value to the company. If they believe they can pay you less and keep you, they will.

either that or they don't care if you leave or not.

pattytx

The law does not require "fair". The law requires that the difference in pay not be based on a protected characteristic, such as your gender, race, religion, etc. You gave no indication in your post that any illegal discrimination in pay has occured.

This is the reality of the Obama administration's view on the future of american workers .. only union people or gov't employees deserve a good wage...Obama's policies have actually held back hiring & wage increases in the private sector.. expect the trend to continue for 2 more years..the next president will get all the accolades for "fixing" a problem that was actually begun by a previous one and has has its effect putter out naturally.

Once you get your masters degree, you should bring up the subject again..you would have more value then.

I would also start sending out resumes .... a company that cannot afford to pay its employees the prevailing wages is one that may have financial issues beyond just your pay. Up to you.

Onto your PhD?

pattytx

This is the reality of the Obama administration's view on the future of american workers .. only union people or gov't employees deserve a good wage...Obama's policies have actually held back hiring & wage increases in the private sector.. expect the trend to continue for 2 more years..the next president will get all the accolades for "fixing" a problem that was actually begun by a previous one and has has its effect putter out naturally.

Once you get your masters degree, you should bring up the subject again..you would have more value then.

I would also start sending out resumes .... a company that cannot afford to pay its employees the prevailing wages is one that may have financial issues beyond just your pay. Up to you.

Onto your PhD?
Oh, puh-leeze. The law has been like this for decades. Your political agenda is not welcome here. It doesn't help the poster one bit.

BTW, this has nothing to do with "prevailing wages", which relate only to work done on government contracts, such as paving a road.

If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't bother.

Oh, puh-leeze. The law has been like this for decades. Your political agenda is not welcome here. It doesn't help the poster one bit.

BTW, this has nothing to do with "prevailing wages", which relate only to work done on government contracts, such as paving a road.

If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't bother.

What law??? I am just telling the OP what to expect for the next couple of years and why .. you know nothing.

pattytx

I've managed large national payroll operations and been a wage and hour compliance expert for decades, for which employers have paid me a premium. And your experience is?

You mentioned "prevailing wage". Do you even know what the law regarding prevailing wage IS?

You think the law has changed regarding discrimination since the new administration was elected? NO.

Last edited:

ndyia

Another white male was promoted the same day as me and he was given $3000 more than me. He has a homeschool certificate in lieu of a high school diploma and no other higher education. I understand unfair and illegal are two different things. I can do without the political discussion. The reality is these practices have been occurring for years and companies can afford excellent legal representation to legitimize all of their unfair and illegal practices. I am not a fan of any presidents or political idiots that use power to make things better for their friends, "business" associates, and special interest groups!

pattytx

So, if you think the ONLY reason that the new hire got a salary higher than you did was because he was male, feel free to file a complaint with the EEOC. However, there may be many other reasons, and expect the company to claim them.

ndyia

Thanks. I don't have the resources to go against the company. I like knowing my rights even if I unable to do anything at this time. I am certain this company will definitely use any other reason possible but I see the trend and it is not a good one at all. Also hearing the other perspectives and arguments certainly she light on some things I wouldn't have thought about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">