• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

union and military deployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?IOWA

I have a job that is union, and i bid on a maintence apprentice job. and took the test. they told me that they go partly on attendence, seniority, work ethic, and the test. i have worked their for 90 days and have perfect attendence, and am a hard worker. and i think that i probably tested higher then anyone else. because i have done mostly mechanical work since i got out of high school. and during my interview they asked me if i would be interested in the appreticeship because of my mecanical experience. but I am going to be deployed to iraq in a couple months. I was wondering if they could not give me the apprenticeship because of my impending deployment. and if they did give it to me. when i came back would i still have the same job. or could they move someone else into the appreticeship. and make me go back to working production for less money.

Beth3

The applicable law is the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA), which was recently amended. I am far from expert on this federal law as I've only had to deal with it in limited applications but basically it allows you to be reinstated to work after your tour of duty with all benefits and rights you would have accrued had you not taken military leave (provided you are honorably discharged, reapply for work within 90 days, etc.)

What I suggest you do to get an answer to your specific question is either (a) do some internet research on USERRA, or (b) talk to your local recruiting officer or JAG office. They will be expert on this law and I'm sure can easily answer your questions.

Best of luck to you on your tour of duty and come home safely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">