• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

United Way: Disclosing $$ amounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bloopy

What is the name of your state? VA

I am the United Way rep at work. My supervisor has asked for a list of all participants and the dollar amount each contributed.

I love the United Way, but I’m aware of its reputation of people being coerced at work. I’ve kept it pretty friendly, and participation has nearly doubled from last year. I think disclosing dollar amounts of individual contributors would cause a lot of people to feel violated.

Last year I responded to the request brightly, “Oh, don’t worry about that. I have the legwork taken care of.” I did share who participated in my thank you message. This year I better give a more direct answer after being told, “Don’t ‘forget’ tell me how much each person contributed.”

Any suggestions? How much is my supervisor entitled to know and at what point would I be insubordinate in withholding information? Is this just an example of a boss being creepy while being perfectly legal?

Betty

I was a United Way rep. several times where I worked. I had to turn into my superior each employee's card with donation info. The cards would indicate "fair share" (which was a formula according to salary) or the dollar amt. if they were not giving their fair share.

I believe if your boss asks for the info, you best give it to them.

pattytx

However, I do agree with you on principle, OP. It's not any of the boss' business who contributed how much.

Bloopy

Okay.

My forms direct me to turn all forms into HR, offsite. But I’ll pick my battles. I have the formula suggesting donation amount but didn’t really know about “fair share” possibly being taken so literally.

Thanks

xylene

Stop being the United Way rep. if you are concerned about its blatantly coercive practices.

I always got a glare from management when I threw the donation info in garbage.

'Fair Share', that was cute. Here a nice ROUND number.

Now I work with people who share my values. "I need all the cash I can get." values.

Bloopy

I'm not going to blame United Way for my boss being nosey.

It’s voluntary. If you enjoyed the show of placing the form in the trash, so be it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">