• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsafe in My New Apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AZ
:( I just recently moved into an secured apt building. I have a person right next door who has a criminal record and is currently on parole or probation for burglary and agg. assault. Two nights ago at 2:30 am my husband and I were awoken to him yelling "I am going to kill you MF" and chasing another resident. The next day I spoke to the neighbor on the other side who said he was asked at 3:00am to hold his knife (no blood) just in case the cops were called. I reported it to the landlord saying things were escalating daily and since she was already considering evicting him because his rent was due...he should go. I found out yesterday (via a neighbor) that she has decided to give him another chance. He has been quite but I am scared. And feel betrayed by the landlord. I had originally thought to break my lease but I cannot afford nor deal with moving again. So, I am considering writing her a letter: re-stating what happened the other night and our conversation, and that since she has chosen to let him stay we will hold her personally and professionally responsible for any breaking and entering on his part or physical harm to us. Is this a good idea? Can she retribute on us? Can she disclose this information to others...ie, my neighbors. Please help. :eek: I just want to feel safe in my home. Thank you in advance.

PghREA

The fact that you have an ex-con with an anger management problem living next door to you does not disqualify him from living in your building nor does it make your landlord/management company responsible for his actions.
You should concentrate on being a good neighbor, minding your own business and try not to pi$$ him off.

HomeGuru

CncrndHswf said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AZ
:( I just recently moved into an secured apt building. I have a person right next door who has a criminal record and is currently on parole or probation for burglary and agg. assault. Two nights ago at 2:30 am my husband and I were awoken to him yelling "I am going to kill you MF" and chasing another resident. The next day I spoke to the neighbor on the other side who said he was asked at 3:00am to hold his knife (no blood) just in case the cops were called. I reported it to the landlord saying things were escalating daily and since she was already considering evicting him because his rent was due...he should go. I found out yesterday (via a neighbor) that she has decided to give him another chance. He has been quite but I am scared. And feel betrayed by the landlord. I had originally thought to break my lease but I cannot afford nor deal with moving again. So, I am considering writing her a letter: re-stating what happened the other night and our conversation, and that since she has chosen to let him stay we will hold her personally and professionally responsible for any breaking and entering on his part or physical harm to us. Is this a good idea? Can she retribute on us? Can she disclose this information to others...ie, my neighbors. Please help. :eek: I just want to feel safe in my home. Thank you in advance.

**A: go ahead and write the letter if it makes you feel better.

PghREA said:
The fact that you have an ex-con with an anger management problem living next door to you does not disqualify him from living in your building nor does it make your landlord/management company responsible for his actions.
You should concentrate on being a good neighbor, minding your own business and try not to pi$$ him off.

Anger Management problem? :eek: A man running down a hall by my bedroom window, weilding a knife and threatening to kill someone. I'm sorry but I feel your advice is a little sarcastic and unrealistic "You should concentrate on being a good neighbor, minding your own business and try not to pi$$ him off". I am a great neighbor, and can put up with a lot, but to be scared of the unpredictability of my neighbor at all hours of the day and night. Come on, I suppose you would tell your daughter the same? I just signed a 6 month lease, my neighbor is month to month (for good reason), he was already in default with his rent, I thought the landlord would be concerned for the welfare of the other tenants. Seeing as the man he chased lives here too. And it was because of a drug situation gone bad. Then the next day when he picked up the knife from our other neighbor, he walked by us with the blade open to his apartment. We had not said anything "mind our own business".

Mr. Realtor any more great advice?

Obviously, the landlord has decided to exercise her right to give him "one more chance" but what more does she need? Blood drawn? I am scared and just trying to find a little empowerment by finding out my rights. I just wanted the landlord to know that if that is the decision she chooses to make "fine". But knowing all she knows, if he hurts me or my husband, because of his unpredictable behavior. I want her to know that I have some kind of recourse, so she will watch him more closely and maybe I can sleep at night.

HomeGuru

CncrndHswf said:
Anger Management problem? :eek: A man running down a hall by my bedroom window, weilding a knife and threatening to kill someone. I'm sorry but I feel your advice is a little sarcastic and unrealistic "You should concentrate on being a good neighbor, minding your own business and try not to pi$$ him off". I am a great neighbor, and can put up with a lot, but to be scared of the unpredictability of my neighbor at all hours of the day and night. Come on, I suppose you would tell your daughter the same? I just signed a 6 month lease, my neighbor is month to month (for good reason), he was already in default with his rent, I thought the landlord would be concerned for the welfare of the other tenants. Seeing as the man he chased lives here too. And it was because of a drug situation gone bad. Then the next day when he picked up the knife from our other neighbor, he walked by us with the blade open to his apartment. We had not said anything "mind our own business".

Mr. Realtor any more great advice?

Obviously, the landlord has decided to exercise her right to give him "one more chance" but what more does she need? Blood drawn? I am scared and just trying to find a little empowerment by finding out my rights. I just wanted the landlord to know that if that is the decision she chooses to make "fine". But knowing all she knows, if he hurts me or my husband, because of his unpredictable behavior. I want her to know that I have some kind of recourse, so she will watch him more closely and maybe I can sleep at night.

**A: buy a gun.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">