• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsupervised probate closing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chicory7

W
My brother in law is the executor for my fathers estate, it is unsupervised. He sent me a one page letter stating the total probated assets for distribution which totaled 300K. I emailed him and asked him about the final accounting and he replied stating, Our lawyer will file something called Unsupervised Personal Representative's Statement To Close Estate with the court. On that document, I state that I have sent the final accounting to
required parties.

I emailed him again and ask if there will be an accounting of where the funds went and he said All verbiage, no numbers.

Now my dad had a trust that went to my sister and there was approx 300K outside of the trust that was probated and the trust was a substantial amount, in the millions, my question is how can he not show an actual accounting of the funds and only use verbiage?

hat is the name of your state?MN

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Sometimes there needs to be time to have an actual accounting;. Why do you expect it immediately?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
my question is how can he not show an actual accounting of the funds and only use verbiage?
Something like this would seem to work:
"Total funds outside of the trust have been distributed to the beneficiaries."

LdiJ

W
My brother in law is the executor for my fathers estate, it is unsupervised. He sent me a one page letter stating the total probated assets for distribution which totaled 300K. I emailed him and asked him about the final accounting and he replied stating, Our lawyer will file something called Unsupervised Personal Representative's Statement To Close Estate with the court. On that document, I state that I have sent the final accounting to
required parties.

I emailed him again and ask if there will be an accounting of where the funds went and he said All verbiage, no numbers.

Now my dad had a trust that went to my sister and there was approx 300K outside of the trust that was probated and the trust was a substantial amount, in the millions, my question is how can he not show an actual accounting of the funds and only use verbiage?

hat is the name of your state?MN
The trust would not be part of the estate. If you are not a beneficiary to the trust, then information about the trust is none of your legal business. Is that what information you thought was missing? Your brother in law, as the executor of the estate would not even have any information about the trust unless he also happened to be the trustee of the trust or was the guardian of your sister. The trust and the estate are separate legal entities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">